Ch 59

(t/n: In this chapter, New Year or ‘the new year’ is referring to Chinese/Lunar New Year, which occurs roughly around end of January / start of February.)

Before the New Year arrived, Song Nanchuan took a secret trip back to C City, for the single purpose of retrieving his family registration booklet.

He hadn’t notified his parents about it, intending on acting first and reporting later. Who’d have thought that the ginger had been spicy from the start? When he got home, his father was already waiting for him in the living room. (t/n: There’s a saying that goes, ‘the older the ginger, the hotter the spice’ which means you gain experience with age.)

Song Nanchuan was a bit surprised, but he kept a cool and nonchalant expression on his face. “Dad, you didn’t go to work today?”

Mr Song glanced at him and scoffed. “Aren’t you taking the day off as well?”

“I’m making a visit to you see you guys.”

“To see us? From the looks of it, you came back for this.” Mr Song lifted his right hand, which just happened to be holding the family register book that Song Nanchuan was looking for.

Song Nanchuan bit his lip. He walked over and took a seat on the sofa across from his father. “What are your conditions? Just tell me.”

Mr Song chuckled. “Is CEO Song making a business deal with me?”

Song Nanchuan looked at his father silently. Then he asked, “How did you know I was coming back?”

“Who do you think raised you? Once you stick your ass out, I know what kind of shit you’re going to take.”

Song Nanchuan, “…Dad, your words are getting coarser.”

“Right. Not everyone can be as whimsical as you, flying to New York for lobster whenever you fancy it.”

Song Nanchuan, “….”

Had his father hired someone to monitor Pei Ying’s Weibo activities?

“In any case, I’m dead set on this wedding.” Song Nanchuan leaned against the back of the sofa with a demeanor that said ‘Do whatever you want to.’

Mr Song frowned. “I just don’t understand what you like about her.”

“Everything,” Song Nanchuan replied directly.

The living room grew silent. Two sets of eyes collided in a silent confrontation. After a long moment, Mr Song sighed. “Fine. Your mother was right. Among you three, your eldest brother’s the only one who listens. I don’t know why we bothered having two more kids.”

Song Nanchuan responded, “If not for Second Brother and me taking on two thirds of Mom’s energy, Eldest Brother would have been broken from all of Mom’s activities.”

Mr Song, “….”

That did seem to make sense.

He coughed, and then said, “Since you’re bent on marrying Pei Ying, you should make sure she’s clear about certain things. Now that she’ll be joining our family, she should be more cautious about her behavior. Make sure she doesn’t get caught up in those tabloid reports, like the ones with that Yu Kaize.”

“You don’t have to worry about that,” he said with a slight smile. He looked at his father and said, “But on that topic, you seem to be rather concerned with the entertainment industry.”

“Hmph. Seeing you in the entertainment headlines every day is really a disgrace for me.”

“I’ll work hard to make the finance headlines in the future. Can you give me the family registration then?”