Chapter 25

They were still in the study room, Lin Xinglan was picking out as many books as possible.
By all means did Lin Xinglan not have any interest in reading the books, the main reason she wanted them was because she had the thought of possibly selling them for money. Yes, selling.

The moment she saw the books she was drown in her own fantasy about how much she could actually earn just by selling them. She would bath in those shiny coins, just thinking about it made her heart thump in excitement.

But then Lin Xinglan began to feel uncertain half-way through. Did she really had the guts to sell the books owned by Qiang Jingyi? The books must had costed him a lot of money yet he just easily let her take them for free.

Lin Xinglan looked over and saw Qiang Jingyi playing chess with Zaki Yaman, she lowered her head as she was lost in her thoughts.

She bit her lower lip in frustration when she glanced over the pile of chosen books on the floor. After a while, she slowly put back some books on the bookshelves in defeat. Lin Xinglan didn't like to feel guilty so she abandoned her original plan and since she had the access to the books, she might as well pick books about this world to read. She knew she didn't have enough knowledge of this world, reading books would be a good start.

When Lin Xinglan was finished, she had picked 40 books from the world's history to plants.

Zaki Yaman took a notice on the books and commented, "Wow, little sister. I thought you would choose poems and virtuous books." 

She gave him a dirty look, "Big Brother Zaki, you're a weird one. How are those books useful to me?"

Virtuous books were for those young ladies who practiced before getting married so their husband could take a more liking towards them. Reading poems would help you by giving the inspiration and let you feel the emotions behind the meanings.

However, those were all useless to Lin Xinglan. She didn't think of getting married, even if she would, she wasn't going to waste her time by learning to be a virtuous wife. If her partner didn't like the way she was then they could only give up on the wedding.

Lin Xinglan never liked poems, she never really understood the meanings behind the words, and she would never write poems by her own choice because obviously she didn't have any talents for it.

She remembered every time she had to write poems in school, the teacher would always give her the lowest grade. Lin Xinglan was so pissed, like, what use were poems in real life situation? It wasn't like she would become a teacher or a poet in any case.

He coughed awkwardly, "I thought.... Sorry, little sister is right."

She nodded at him and went to double check the books so that there were no errors.

Zaki Yaman sat up from the chair and bid his goodbye to Qiang Jingyi and Lin Xinglan. He wanted to stay longer with them but unfortunately, he still had some work to do.

Lin Xinglan watched Zaki Yaman leave and thought she would also go since it was getting late and she had to work the day after. She wanted to leave but her thoughts were interrupted by a voice behind her.

"You're not thinking of leaving now, are you?"

Lin Xinglan whirled around to look at Qiang Jingyi, "It's late and I have work tomorrow." She explained, not wanting him to misunderstand her.

"Lan," He walked towards her, "We haven't seen each other for eight years and you're in that hurry to leave me?" His arms snaked around her hips and his eyes pierced through hers.

Her throat suddenly felt dry, she wanted to move away from him but failed because of his strong arms, "Look, little-"

"Don't. Call me by my name."