Chapter 54

Reality was starting to kick in.

I had been in that cell for a month. Soo-won had been searching for me that whole time. There had been no sign of Yona and the others, them having seemingly disappeared, much like I. But rumors spread quickly, as Soo-won kept me at his side at all times. He had soon found that I was missing a hand, and he blamed him self. Everyone who knew was absolutely torn.

And this is where I was now, leaning against a cherry blossom, staring at my reflection in the pond. I was still bruised, cut, but I was healing nicely. I was no longer in threat of dying from blood loss. But there major changes was the lack of my hand, obviously. I had thought I'd gotten used to it, but most every day activities I was rendered incapable of completing. I spaced out a lot more without even meaning it. I flinched at physical touch, I always second glanced everyone, and if I trusted them, such as Soo-won, when I walked with him I was extremely close. I could tell Soo-won was enjoying the proximity but he understood why I was doing it.

I was scared.

No.

I was petrified.

"Azumi" Soo-won called, snapping me out of my brooding. I glanced up at him, my eyes once again dull and almost lifeless.

"Can I help you?" I asked, walking over to him with a slight limp.

"You should be resting" Soo-won chuckled softly.

"I needed fresh air" I responded calmly, scanning the area around us. 

"Of course. Shall we go for a walk?" Soo-won smiled, holding out his arm.

"Thank you" I said weakly, wrapping my arm around his. He led me through the gardens, a calm smile gracing his lips. I kept my eyes downcast, my face expressionless.

"So, how are your wounds? Are you healing well?" He asked.

"Yes, thank you" I sighed, smiling slightly.

"Is there anyone you would like to see? I can invite someone, anyone, to the castle" Soo-won offered, gazing at me thoughtfully.

"I should be alright" I said, my eyes never leaving the ground. Soo-won frowned but said nothing. We soon sat on a bench after my legs began to become weak once again.

We sat there for quite a while in silence. My frown was growing deeper and deeper. Would my friends allow me back into the group? Was I truly safe in the castle, with the guild int he dungeons beneath our feet? Was Soo-won harsh enough to kill those men? Where would I go after this?

I suddenly felt Soo-won's finger collide with the middle of my forehead and I flinched, blinking up at him surprise.

"You look better with a smile" He beamed at me. I chuckled dryly, not really in the spirit to chuckle.

"Say, Soo-won... How did you have the guts to do it...?" I asked. He blinked, surprised and confused at the same time.

"Do what?" He asked.

"I recently broke off with Yona and the others, and I feel absolutely horrible" I said, frowning at the pond in front of us. Soo-won's eyes widened.

"I'm only now realizing my mistakes, and I fool like an absolute fool. Do you ever regret your choices? Do you ever wish you could go back, and come up with some plan other then what you did?" I asked, turning to him. He stared at me, stunned for quite a while. He then sighed, turning back to the pond with a coldness I was not used to within his eyes.

"There was no other way..." He muttered.

"Of course there was. You could have married Yona, for instance. Then there would have been no doubt" I said, leaning forward to watch his expression.

"I couldn't do that. That just feels wrong" He said, raising an eyebrow.

"So you resorted to violence..." I muttered, leaning back in my chair.

"Like you can talk" He said, a lot more harshly then I expected. I gazed over at him, now regretting even bringing up.

"You don't understand" I sighed, shaking my head lightly and going to rise to my feet. Soo-won grabbed my hand and threw me back onto the bench. I winced in pain and he instantly regretted his actions.

"See, you are doing it now. I'm going to tell you a major difference, that is important to your success" I said, throwing his hand away and rising to my feet. I then turned to him, my expression almost cold as I gazed at him.

"King Il's actions may not have been justified, and he might have needed to step up his act to save his people. But people did not see the lesson within his ruling methods" I said.

"To act weak? Avoid conflict at all costs?" Soo-won asked coldly, rising to his feet.

"Not at all. He taught his subjects that war is not worth the outcome" I said, glaring up at him. His eyes widened as he gazed at me. Despite me being so much shorter, and obviously weak, I was much more threatening then him. He had never seen me glare at someone, and he was in for quite the treat.

"You might have more control over this land, and make this kingdom powerful again. But what is it all for? Once you have that power, how are you going to use it?" I asked. He went silent.

"I know you say you're going to stick to what land we used to own, but the power will get to your head. It always does. You will want to expand, and kill more people. People will begin to see you as a threat. Some people will come willingly, wanting their heads. Others will burn everything they own, so you gain nothing but land.  You have to think from both sides of the spectrum. Someone who's been sheltered their whole life wouldn't understand that" I said.

"I understnad more then you think" He said, scowling slightly.

"I follow under you because I believe that you could be a good king. I'm starting to see your flaws. You're already using violence to get answers, just as you did before" I said.

"I pulled you back onto the bench!" He gasped, thinking that I was attacking him.

"When I'm extremely weakened, and at risk of injuring my self even more" I said, looking away. He once again went silent.

"If you'll excuse me, I must go make sure I haven't bruised any more" I said, bowing.

"So, are we enemies or friends?" He asked.

"For now, friends. That is, until you prove yourself"