Chapter 1

"Now you know damn well I'm not finna buy that shit" I looked up from my book as Aunti Rena was ranting on.

"It's either cookies circles or cinnamon squares" she put her hand on her hip growing annoyed as she read off the labels of the off-brand cereals.

Kayli rolled her eyes "I don't even care at this point"

Aunti Rena snapped her fingers at me "grab the cinnamon squares Nay and bring y'all asses". I did as told and grabbed the box of cereal placing it in the cart. Aunti Rena took lead, leading us down another aisle. I watched as her thick hips shifted to each side as she walked. The deep dip in her lower back just complemented her whole body. Not to mention her smooth brown skin that just threw it all together. I couldn't even lie my Aunti was banging to be 49.

Most boys in the neighborhood knew her because of her big booty. And most men knew her because of what she could do with it, and ask her she wasn't ashamed. All the men flocked to her like it wasn't shit. Me being Rena's niece everybody thought I'd be the spitting image of her or at least had some of her features but nope. Nothing.

While my aunti was thick, loud and brown skinned I was skinny, shy as hell and lighter than the color white itself. I wasn't into all the attention seeking things my aunt did. She acted like most of the girls that went to school with me ratchet. Sad to say but she was just another statistic.

Black single mother living off welfare and working 2 jobs to make ends meet.

But instead of working 2 jobs she had one, well barely. She couldn't keep a stable job if it was to save her life. She had a new job every month. Other than that she was bringing in money from her 3 baby daddies that paid child support when they felt like it. And of course she did what she did around the block. All in all she made sure me and my 4 cousins was well kept.

My mama passed when I was 7 and I never knew my daddy so I was left in the hands of Aunti Rena. It was me which I'm 17, then came Tasha she's 15, then Kayli she's 13, then Raylen he's 10 then Mika she's 6. Aunti Rena has a older daughter, Tammy she's 21 but lives on her own.

****
Back at home

"Come now y'all taking all damn day" Aunti Rena yelled as she sat on the couch eating a hot pickle. For some reason she was always yelling. That shit was so annoying.

I huffed dropping the 4 bags on the floor "that's everything".

She smacked her lips hard sucking at the pickle juice "good now put it up, I'm tired as hell"

I mentally rolled my eyes.

After me and Tasha had put up all the groceries I headed into my room. Shutting and locking the door. Lucky for me I was the one to get the room by myself. Aunti Rena felt as if I was the oldest and needed the most privacy. Me and Aunti Rena had our own rooms while Tasha, Raylen, Mika and Kayli all shared 1 room.

I cut off my light before laying on my bed, grabbing my book I began to read. But not before I was interrupted by Aunti Rena loud moans.

"Ouuuuuuu I like it daddy"

I rolled my eyes, this was nothing new.

NEXT MORNING...

All four of us sat around the dark brown wooden table eating our breakfast. I simply had a bowl of cereal while the rest of them had either pancakes or waffles.

Aunti Rena came in the kitchen brushing her hair down "come on now Tammy said she gone be pulling up soon. Y'all eating like y'all got all damn day"

The strings on her fringe shirt swang everywhere as she rushed around the house. I palmed my forehead already not feeling today. Ever summer Aunti throws this big ass barbecue for everyone on the block. I was usually away at camp for the summer so this would be my first time actually attending this bull crap.

She had Tammy coming over here to take me and Tasha to the store to find something decent to wear. I really didn't care for getting all dressed up. Who the hell dresses up for a backyard party any way. If it was up to me I'd be wearing sweats.

A horn blew 3 times, the last time being the longest.

"Y'all gone ahead now" Aunti yelled from the bathroom. I threw my bowl in the sink before heading for the door.

"You have the money?" I asked Tasha as we walked to Tammy's car.

She nodded holding her hand in front of her face trying to block the sunlight.

As soon as I opened the car door the smell of weed hit me, and the loud music didn't make it any better.

"Gone head get in the back" Tammy said while putting out her blunt. Tammy was just like her mama. Hips, butt, attitude and all. The only difference was Tammy was way darker than Aunti Rena. She had a piercing on her lip, her tongue, her eyebrow and her nose. Surprisingly, the only tattoo she had was on her neck which read Lanel her son's name.

Tasha sat on the right, I sat in the middle and Tammy's 2 year old son sat next to me. I shook my head looking at the dried up snot that layed under his nose. He looked up smiling showing the few teeth he had.

Tammy quickly pulled off making us jerk forward. Her baby daddy changed the song Turing the radio up even louder. This is gonna be a long ass day

_______
Nayomi in media