Chapter 29

*your pov*
We started heading back to the glade just as the other boys started on their daily chores, today was one of the days I was off and got to do whatever, so I helped Newt over to the gardens and sat and watched the track hoes garden all day, helping Newt with his small, but tedious jobs. Like right now he was sorting seeds.

"Hey, y/n, can you start a new pile for pepper seeds?" His voice snapped me out of my trance, I had been thinking about earlier this morning, and how long I had known him. It was a lot longer than I had thought.
     I smiled and placed the seed next to many other piles, starting a new one.

     "You ok y/n? You seem a bit off," Nick walked up behind me and caused me to jump a small bit, and my ears flushed a shade of pink again.

     "Yes Nick, I am fine, thank you," I hid my stuttering pretty well, but he still seemed suspicious,
" Can I talk to you for a moment please?"
I gulped and nodded, brushing my hands on my trouser legs as I stood up.

    I followed Nick over to my little cabin and watched as he sat on a small stool I had outside,
"Do you feel something for Newt, y/n?"
My cheeks flushed a deep pink,
"Uh, well, kinda- I mean, you see..."
I was fumbling with my words as his eyes dropped their hopeful look, replaced with a mixture of disappointment and some kind of amusement.
"Hey, calm down, y/n. I was just asking, and I'm guessing the answer is yes. That's part of the reason I wanted to talk to you alone, was to tell you two things. I actually have some feelings for you, but seeing as who you have feelings for, my hopes wouldn't happen," he paused a moment to look at my face, which was contorted with confusion and guilt, "Hey, it's ok, you're happy with Newt, and that makes me happy. Anyways, the second thing is I may have found a way out of this wretched place. I just need the next greenie to come up and then it will take place from there. Luckily it was almost a month ago exactly that Preston came up, so the next greenie show be up any day now."
With that being said, I nodded and the alarm blared through the glade. My eyes widened as a smile plastered on my face, one glad he didn't ask about details about the morning, and two, new supplies and a new guy.
~
The boy who came up was dark skinned, he seemed older than me and a lot bigger and stronger too, but he felt comfortable when I made myself known to him. Something about being a girl can be comforting I guess.
~
It didn't take him long to remember his name, Alby.
He was a very good friend, and eventually throughout the night, Nick told him how I was assigned as second in command and all the jobs again, and what his plan was with the box.

He was trying to tie a rope to the top of the box and lower himself down into it, but no one would let him for a while until we knew more about the box.
~
A couple more months have passed, more boys, no change in pattern to the box, Newt's ankle is healing well though. He has a small limp, but he can walk and work with no assistance anymore, and kisses on the forehead and cheek have become more frequent. I was slowly starting to accept my feelings for him.
~
Another month later and we decided after this new greenie, we would let Nick do his crazy experiment, we have enough boys that if something happened, we could get him out safely, but this time, a young boy came out of the box, he looked younger than everyone, 13 at most. His name turned out to be Chuck and I was helping him around the glade when I heard something, something bad.
"Y/n! Help! Nick is trapped and hurt in the box canal!"
A random boy came running over to me and I looked at chuck and motioned for him to follow as I ran. I dropped to my knees looking into the hole where the box came up normally, boys crowding around me I saw a very injured Nick holding on to what looked like a thread of the rope,

      Something didn't want us to leave this way, the cuts on Nick's sides and arms, oozing blood, showed us that. Those were made by blades of some sort, not bumping into metal.

     I reached my arm down to him, Alby grabbing my legs so I wouldn't fall, and he reached up to grab my hand.

Our fingers barely brushed when the rope snapped, sending him plummeting into the dark abyss of the hole where the box came from. Never to be seen again.

     My eyes widened and I stretched my arm further as if I would bring him back, he was our leader. He was my friend. Now he is gone.

Alby pulled me back into a hug as Newt hobbled over, just arriving at the scene. He knelt down next to Alby and I and held out his arms for me, and I dove right into them, sinking my nails into his sweat soaked shirt, soaking it with tears as he rubbed patterns and circles into my back.
Everyone else was quiet, they knew something I hadn't yet realised in that moment.
I was the new leader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi guys!
I'm so sorry this chapter seemed kinda fast, I needed to get caught up into the actual maze runner story and this little backstory was taking longer than I wanted it to, so apologies for that, and I also just went and saw The Death cure. It was great, sad, and awesome, but it didn't match the book a whole lot. Have you guys seen it yet?
Love ya!
~ Zelda