Chapter 31

*Newt's Pov*

     Y/n. I couldn't ever talk her out of anything. And now that she is our leader... I sure as hell can't change her mind once it's set.

     I looked out the doors where she made the first turn, and like always, I was scared. Scared she wouldn't come back for a couple days, scared she would come back hurt, scared she wouldn't come back at all.

      She left Alby in charge, he is a nice guy, older than me for sure. In the past few months he has grown on everyone in the glade including Y/n and myself, and I wouldn't mind her giving him the official job of second in command. He would do really a good job. Honestly, with her thought process recently I wouldn't be surprised if she just gave him the position of leader altogether. She seemed happy as second in command, but looks as if she never really wanted to be the leader.

      I snapped back into my own eyes and took one last look into the long corridors of the maze, pretending I could still hear her footsteps as she ran, but I turned and went to the gardens to sort out all the work that had to be done there... all I could do was wait for her to come home.

*your pov*

     The constant beat of my feet hitting the ground seemed to calm my raving mind, playing it's own tune of sorts. I ignored the lack of sleep or food and pushed forward, memorizing everything I seem to come across so when I stopped to eat lunch I could write it all down.

     I didn't know when I accepted second in command I would actually have to fill in as leader. I didn't ever expect Nick to....

     Well, anyways, I have to fill that role. And I have to think of who I want as my second in command.

     Newt maybe? But he has a permanently injured ankle. And he has all the work in the gardens. Much less than running a path all day. I don't want to push all this work on him.

     Alby? He just got here a couple months ago, but he seems to understand everything a lot better than half the kids here. And he seems to be older than almost all of us.... he just seems more mature than all the boys.

     I set my mind towards offering Alby second in command. And getting home to Newt.

*timeskip*

     I turned the last corner and saw the green hue of the grass in the glade and I instantly was overjoyed. It had been to long since I ran all day and definetly needed to practice some more and get back into shape.

     Frypan came up to me with a cup of fresh water and Newt followed suit and proceeded to give me a hug and kiss on the forehead. I chuckled and said,

     "Hi Newt, have you seen Alby anywhere? I want to talk to him and offer him something... maybe you want to come along?"

     Newt nodded and smiled, he had a look of knowing in his eyes as he grabbed my hand and led me to where Alby was sitting, just enjoying the day under a tree.

     I sat down across from him and picked up a stick, peeling bark off it as Newt settled down next to me,

     "Hey Alby, I have something to ask you," I paused for a bit and took a deep breath, "When Nick was alive, he was the leader, and I was his second in command. And now that he is gone, I am leader and I need a second in command... are you interested in being my official second in command?"

      Newt rubbed my back and Alby looked up to meet my eyes, and nodded.

     I smiled and relaxed my muscles, I didn't have to worry about that anymore. Just one thing off my plate.

     "Well, lets all go get dinner then?"

     The boys smiled and nodded, standing up with me and we all walked to meet frypan and get dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Omg. It has been so long since I updated. I dont even trust myself when I say I'm trying to get better about that anymore 😂. I am soo sorry guys. I do like seeing that you guys still like this book! I am very hazy on the books so I'm trying my best to keep personal twists in this. Yes I know Alby was there from the beginning, but to make my story unique, I'm trying to keep my own twists in on this. Anyways, I have been SUPER busy irl, I now have a boyfriend *my crush liked me back.
I am writing a couple of things that you guys probably won't get to read, along with some short stories I do plan on putting on wattpad, so maybe you will get to read those.
Thank you guys SO much for getting me to almost 73K reads. It means a lot that a little project I started because I was bored and someone requested has turned into a book that a lot of people have checked out.
Lots of love for all of you guys!
~ Zelda