Chapter-17

Thanks to all the readers who comment and vote. I am sincerely grateful to you all.

Here is the seventeenth chapter. Hope you like it. =)

If you have any suggestion, please tell me in the comment section.

------------------------------------------

The midnight wind was howling and a light layer of fog rolled over the misty grass covered ground. The wrought iron gates of the compound rattled with the force of the wind. The whole area was dotted with several headstones erected from the land in a planned manner. The grave in front of me had a weeping stone angel statue standing near it with the eyes of the angel looking at the grave with profound sadness. Several more such statues could be seen from where I was sitting with breathe caught up in my lungs.

"A cemetery? That is so original," Daniel remarked humorously while trying to untie the rope that was wound lightly around his hands, which looked really difficult considering the fact that he still had a cast on his left wrist. A similar rope tied my hands together too but I was too frozen to get rid of it.

"Cemetery," I mumbled to myself. "A ceme...cemetery."

Earlier that night-

"Welcome to the tenth annual Senior Fugitive Night! May the force be with you and for the people too dumb to understand that reference, may the odds be in your favor," Mike announced standing on the cement platform in the middle of the school courtyard. "First of all, any queries?"

"Umm...just one." I raised my hand. "Who the hell elected you as the host?"

"Okay, let me rephrase it. Any important queries?" Mike asked moving his hand in air to address everyone present. I rolled my eyes in silence.

No one bothered to pay attention to anything Mike was saying, much less reply to him. The whole area was filled with a non rhythmic sound of people talking to each other. It was a rare case of seeing people looking actually happy about being in school. Well, maybe it was because of the night time.

The annual fugitive night event was held every year by the senior class of the school. And it was not just our school but it was organized in every school of the town, only the minor details and dates of the event varied. So one may say that it was more like a town event, but since the first fugitive night was planned by seniors of our school, or as we called them, 'The Originals', every student of Cassell High preferred to think that it was our school's tradition. 

"Well, aren't you such a popular speaker," I said to Mike smiling, after scanning the courtyard with my eyes.

"They're just excited, that's all. I got them all to come here, didn't I?" Mike reminded me smugly.

"They would've come here anyway. Illegal trespassing and law breaking. What's not to like?" I remarked sarcastically, sitting on the platform.

"Illegal trespassing and law breaking," Mike mimicked my tone. "Don't insult the sacred event of our school. Do you have any idea how many brave stories people out there have to tell the world of this night?"

"You done being dramatic?" I asked in a flat tone. "Now, since you've chosen yourself as the host, why don't you explain the rules to everyone?"

"Right, good idea." Mike took back his position on the raised platform and began by clapping his hands loudly. "Gather up everyone! It's time for rules."