Chapter 8: Do You Care?

I do care, and at the same time, I don't care. ~Mark

~Your POV~

Ashley's supposed to be here any minute. We're going to try to pinpoint exactly what happened and what didn't happen. While we waited, Skylar seemed a little quiet. Mark wasn't with us again, which I found weird. He was in the recording room recording a video for YouTube. He's been doing that more often than usual. I guess he wants to catch up on his work, which I don't blame him for.

It was going to take Ashley a bit to get here because she's driving from New York and she had to make a few stops to take a break. She should be here within the hour.

Skylar was sitting on the bed in my bedroom in my parents' apartment next to me. Her hands were intertwined with each other. She really seemed like she had something to tell me. I tapped on her shoulder. "What's up?" she asked. "Is everything okay? You've been kind of quiet all day." I asked her. She sighed and shrugged. "I don't really want to talk about it." she admitted. I stared at her. She never hides anything from me. This must be serious. "Please tell me." I asked nicely. She shook her head. "It's something really fucked up. You don't need to hear it." she answered.

How can something be so fucked up she can't tell me? She's told me a lot of fucked up things before. How is this any different?

"Skylar, please." I begged. She took in a deep breath, and then began speaking. "Last week, before I was on my way to meet up with you at the location you texted me, I called Mark up." she started. I nodded, understanding what day she meant. "When I told Mark that I knew where you were, Mark had told me something like, "Oh good. I mean, I kind of enjoyed the silence without her, but if you know where she is, I guess I'll come with you."" It seemed to have really pained her to tell me what Mark said, and now I see why. Mark completely emotionally fucked me over. I frowned at her as tears welled up in my eyes. She looked just as sad. "So what did you say?" I asked, trying hard not to choke. Again, she breathed in. "I told him not to bother coming, and that you deserve someone better than him." she answered. I nodded. I can't be mad at her. She did exactly what I had wanted my best friend to do. Basically telling him to fuck off.

I gave her a hug. "I'm sorry he said that, (f/n)." she said in my neck. I sniffled in her shoulder. "It's okay, it's not your fault. Mark's the asshole in all this. Now I see why he isn't here with me right now. He'd much rather work than be with me." Skylar held me tighter just before breaking the hug. "(F/n), you deserve someone much better than him. I know you guys have a history together, but he clearly doesn't love you anymore." she said straight out. I nodded. "I know." I agreed.

"I'm going to go to Mark's apartment for a few minutes. I want to speak to him." I said as I stood up. Skylar stood up, too. "Want me to come for moral support?" she offered. I thought for a second, and then nodded. "Yeah. I'll go in his recording room, and you can listen in from the hallway just so you see how we are when you're not around." I suggested. Skylar smiled and followed me to the apartment. I unlocked it with my key and led us inside. The whole apartment was silent except for Mark's recording room. He was screaming like a frightened little girl.

Just when he stopped recording, I entered the recording room with a blank look on my face. "Hey, Mark." I said. Mark just smiled and turned his chair toward me. "Hey, baby. How are you?" he asked. I looked away from him, which made his smile disappear. "Do you love me?" I asked, ready to cry again. Mark nodded. "Of course! That's why I'm wearing this ring!" he said, showing me his left ring finger. The gold ring was still looped around it. I nodded. "Okay, do you care about me?" This made Mark fall silent. He can straight out say he loves me, but he can't say he cares. What the hell!?

"Yes, I care." he said in a not-so-serious tone, like he had answered this question a million times. I nodded again. "Then, why did you tell Skylar that you had enjoyed the silence without me when I went missing?" I asked, gazing into his guilty eyes. Mark's face went pale like he was about to get sick. My eyebrows raised a bit more. "Oh, she told you that." he mumbled. I grinned sarcastically. Before Mark could speak further, I just left him there. "You clearly don't love nor care for me if you can so easily say that and abandon me when I needed you most. Mark?" I said as I approached the door. He looked up to me. "I think we should break up." I said, and then left. Mark's eyes welled up with tears when I said that. Oh, maybe he loves and cares about me now.

When I went into the hallway, Ashley, Rebecca, and Kenneth were here too. My eyes widened when I saw the audience by Mark's recording room. Before greeting them, I led us out of Mark's apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~