Chapter 11: She's Not Here

Stay where you are. Avoid your past. ~Unknown

~Mark's POV~

It's been a few hours since (f/n) broke the news of divorce to me. I still can't figure out how to handle it. We've been through so much together, and she's okay with throwing it all out like that? Yeah, I may have abandoned her a few times, and chose peace and quiet over her. Damn, I really am a piece of shit. I need to get her back.

I went over to her parents apartment and knocked gently. "(F/n), are you home? We need to talk like right now." I begged as I knocked more. Suddenly, someone opened the door. It was her mother. "Oh, hey Mrs. (L/n), is (f/n) home?" I asked nicely. She gave me a mean look. "She's not here." she said before closing her door. Before I had time to react, the door was closed and locked.

I dialed her phone number on my dial pad to give her a call. If she was home, I'd hear her phone ring. If not, then she's not home. Seconds later, I heard nothing coming from her apartment. She's really not home. Where could she be?

I got into my car and started it up. She can't go missing again, and if she does, I'll be there for her.

~Your POV~

Before heading out to Columbus, Ohio, I went to an AT&T store to change my number. I don't want either my parents or Mark calling me while I'm away. They don't need to know where I am. The process took only a few minutes. They just changed out my SIM card and replaced it with a different one that contained a different phone number. "Thanks so much." I said, handing the salesman my credit card. He swiped it and waited for my receipt to print out. Their receipts printed on regular printer paper, which was weird. He handed it to me. "Have a great day!" he called as I walked out the door. "You too!" I called back. The door to the store shut. I was thinking about upgrading my phone to the iPhone X, but I'll save it for another time. Maybe I'll break my phone on purpose and have a reason to do it.

"Ready to go? We need to stop and get some gas." Ashley told me. I nodded as I got into the front seat. Everyone else was sitting in the back seat. We drove to a nearby gas station. I watched as Ashley pulled out her wallet. She had a whole wad of cash in there. Ashley noticed me looking into her wallet. "Oh relax, I'm not selling drugs. This is like five years worth of birthday cards. Most of them were from my rich grandma." she explained. I nodded and lied back into my seat. Skylar, Rebecca, and Kenneth were looking at me. "You ready for this?" Kenneth asked me. I shook my head. "No. It feels like I'm getting ready to fight a war." I admitted. "I'm fucking scared."

"(F/n), how many times have I saved your life?" Skylar asked. I looked at her. "In real life or in the dream?" I asked back. Skylar thought for a second. "In real life." she answered. I then thought for a moment. She's saved my life so many times. I remember a day before turning nineteen, someone had broken into my parents apartment as Skylar and I had a sleepover there. The burglar tried coming into my room to steal my shit, beat, and possibly rape me. Before any of that happened, Skylar jumped right up and beat the shit out of him. It woke my parents up, and as Skylar was fighting him, my Dad called the cops. By the time they showed up, the burglar was unconscious. He was taken into custody, and I'm assuming that he's serving time in jail.

"Probably seven times at this point." I said finally. Skylar nodded. "Nine, but who's counting?" she joked. Maybe it was nine. I can't remember.

Ashley finished pumping gas. She had prepaid like thirty dollars. That should be more than enough for this road trip. She got into the car after buying some snacks for us. "Okay guys, let's head out!" she said as she started the car. We all got comfortable and enjoyed the ride as Ashley drove.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~