Beats As One

Melanie's blue corvette convertible pulled up along the sidewalk in front of the apartments. "This better be worth it."

She climbed out of the car and looked down at her sandles and hugged the leather trench around herself, snake skin purse held close. "Plus ... I look tacky as all hell!"

Melanie shut her car door and locked it, walking to the double glass doors and giving a tug to find them locked. A weird and frustrated expression appeared and then she saw the button, assuming it was maybe a door bell or intercom of sorts.

She pressed the button that had Sterling's last name on it, she at least knew that. "Hey, lady, this is Sterling's friend." Tell a little lie, she was always on fire.

Nancy had already placed her red heels in the closet and had started taking her jewely off as she prepared for comfort within her home when the voice came through the intercom.

Guess the girl wasn't given the code? Nancy made her way for the living room and pressed the button. "Okay, I'll buzz you in." She said, pressing the button.

Melanie heard the buzz. "Fucking cold!" She grabbed the door and hurried into the welcoming warmth of the building. The lobby was actually small, carpeted, a soda machine, the row of mail boxes and access to the stairs and an elevator. She pressed the button.

The doors opened and she walked in and quickly pressed for the third floor, having noted the number beside Nancy's name.

The elevator chimed on the dialed floor upon reaching it and she stepped out and quickly moved around the corner, scanning the apartment numbers until she came upon the right one and gave it a knock.

"Just a quick in and out, maybe a dramatic story." She mumbled and grinned.

Nancy opened the door. "Hello." She said, making an odd face. "So ... you're one of Sterling's friends? He's never mentioned you."

Her head tilted to the side. "Oh well it's a friendship in the making." Melanie smiled. "You see we were assigned as partners on a project and I think I accidently left my copy here."

Nancy nodded. "Really?"

"Yeah and you see despite the partnership the assignment is graded individually so I don't want to fail even if he does." She stopped herself. "Oh, I didn't mean that like it sounded."

Nancy shook her head. "It's okay, I am sure you didn't. You sound really nervous."

"Well I am because if I don't make this grade my dad is going to ground me for two months and I don't mean make me sit in my room and do nothing kind of grounding. He has military background, it can get very brutal. So ... if I could just come in and see...?"

Sterling eyed Jaemin and then stepped onto the elevator. "What are you doing here?" He asked, the hint of anger in his tone as the doors closed.

Jaemin lifted his hands, covered in fingerless black leather gloves. "Hey he wasn't in my house when ever ... this happened." He then looked curious. "What did happen anyway?"

"He tried to overdose on some kind of pills. The label was torn off, I don't even know what they were for." He stared at Jaemin and crossed his arms. "You still didn't answer my question."

Jaemin slowly shook his head. "You know, this information ..." He chewed on a tooth pick as he stepped closer to Sterling. "You're a danger to him, I can't allow that."

"I'm a danger? I'm not the one obsessed and freakin stalking him.".

"What would you have been doing if he hadn't willingly befriended you? Tell me that? And even so, tell me all the dirty fantasies that have gone through your head since then?"