05 - Lies

Hannah showed up at school with more injuries than usual. The only person who would notice her injuries was Peter. But today, a little more noticed. 

"The injuries are bad today," Anthony said.

"Yeah, everyone noticed," Hannah lowered her book. "Even my teachers have been asking if I'm okay."

"Oh, didn't think teachers cared enough to check on their students."

"Yeah," Hannah agreed. "I've met Spider-Man several times and there's something about him that's familiar."

"What do you mean?" Anthony asked.

"He sounds so familiar," Hannah said. "He sounds like someone I know but I can't think of who."

"Huh," Anthony said, leaning back. "If he sounds familiar to you, do you think you sound familiar to him?

"I - I don't know," she realized Spider-Man could be someone she knows. Maybe he might know her as Hannah, not Spark. "Oh, man. What if he recognized my voice. Or my face? My mask doesn't cover my entire face. Parts of my face shows."

"I need to fix the mask then," Anthony said. "Do you have the suit on you?"

"Yeah," Hannah nodded.

"Give me the mask," Anthony said. 

Hannah unzipped her backpack and reached into it. She grabbed the mask.

"Give me your backpack," Hannah said.

"What?"

"Give it to me."

"Why?"

"We can't let anyone see the mask," Hannah said.

"Oh, right."

Anthony handed Hannah his backpack and Hannah quickly took out the mask and put it inside Anthony's backpack.

"I'll see you later," Anthony said. "I'm going to sit with my other friends."

"Alright," she said.

Anthony took his lunch and backpack and left the table. Hannah sighed and continued reading her book. She glanced at Anthony while he was hanging out with his friends. She wished she could be more like him. 

She looked away from Anthony and continued to read and eat her lunch.

***

Hannah feels like she's close to losing her mind. As much as she'd like to take a few days from fighting crime, she knew she can't. There are police officers who are here to protect everyone and there's Spider-Man. 

"Geez, Hannah," Anthony said. "Take a few days off from this. You have a bunch of bruises and injuries all over your body. Your body needs to heal."

"I can't just take a break from this, Anthony," Hannah said. "You know that."

"I know," Anthony sighed. "Promise me that you'll take the weekend off."

"I don't know," Hannah said.

"Hannah, please," Anthony begged. "I really care about you. I don't want you to get hurt even more."

Hannah sighed. "Fine. I'll take the weekend off."

"Great!" Anthony said. 

Hannah took off her jacket and placed it on the desk. She sat on the chair next to Anthony.

"Are there any other criminals out there I can take on?" Hannah asked. 

"No," Anthony nodded. "Police officers are already out there taking care of them."