46 - Three Weeks Later

Hannah sat in the distance, watching Nebula and Tony playing paper football. She has played with the both of them several times over the last twenty - two days. Nebula has gotten better over the last three weeks,

"Wrra!" Nebula exclaimed in frustration. She put her hands in a fighting stance while looking at Tony.

"You don't need to do that," Tony said. "Becuase uh... you're just holding a position."

Nebula flicked a paper football towards Tony.

"Oh yeah, that was close," Tony said.

Nebula flicked the paper football once again towards Tony.

"That's a goal," Tony said. "You're now one apiece."

"I would like to try again," she requested.

Nebula flicked a paper football towards Tony once again.

"You tied up," Hannah spoke. 

"Feel the tension?" Tony asked. "It's fun."

Tony poorly flicked a paper football towards Nebula.

"That was terrible," Tony said. "Now you have a chance to win."

Nebula flicked the paper football towards Tony. 

"And... you won," Tony said. "Congratulations."

Hannah smiled.

"That's great," Hannah said.

Tony extended his hand out to shake Nebula's hand.

"Fair game. Good sport," he said.

Nebula shook Tony's hand.

"Have fun?"

"It was fun," she said. 

***

"Do you want to record a message for your uncle?" Tony asked. "We only have enough energy to record a single message."

Hannah shook her head.

"No," she said, trying to hold back tears. 

"Are you sure?" Tony asked.

"I'm sure," she said. 

Tony nodded. 

He reached forward to turn on the helmet. The weight of the events a few weeks ago had weighed on them. It was terrible. It was clear both Hannah and Tony were exhausted. Their mental health had worsed after the battle. They both came out of the battle terrible and negatively affected. 

Tony tapped the helmet with a sigh.

"This thing on?" he asked. The helmet scanned Tony. Tony leaned against the wall while taking deep breaths. 

"Hey, Miss. Hudson... Nora," he said. "If you find this recording, don't post it on social media. It's gonna be a real tear-jerker. I don't know if you're ever going to see these. I don't even know if you're... if you're still... Oh god, I hope so. Today is day 21, uh 22... you know, if it wasn't for the existential terror of staring into a void of space, I'd say I'm feeling better today. The infection's run its course, thanks to the blue meanie back there."

Tony went on to tell Nora, his fiance, about Nebula.

"You'd love her," Tony said. " Very practical. Only a tiny bit sadistic. Some fuel cells were cracked during battle, but we figured out a way to reverse the ion charge to buy ourselves about 48 hours of time. But it's now dead in the water. We're 1000 light years from the nearest 7 -11. Oxygen will run out tomorrow. And that'll be it. And Nora, I ... I know I said no more surprises, but I was really hoping to pull off one last one. But it looks like... well you know what it looks like. Don't feel bad about this. I mean, if you grovel for a couple of weeks, and then move on with enormous guilt. I should probably lie down. Please know that... when I drift off, I will think about you. It's always you."

Hannah watched Tony turn off the helmet. He rubbed his thumb over the left eye. He leaned down to what would've been his last sleep. Hannah didn't. 

She and Nebula walked over to him and carried him to what should've been Drax's seat. They laid him there. Nebula walked away, dejected.

Hannah sat next to Tony and closed her eyes. She sighed. She reopened her eyes. She looked over at Tony's face. For the first time, it showed his age and weakness. Hannah knew that Tony always put up an act to not let anyone know how tired he is of this lifestyle or the pain. After working for him for over a year, she could tell. Now that he's resting, she could see.

A bright light appeared, which caused Hannah to squint and try and protect her eyes from the light. It got brighter and brighter and it caused Tony to open his eyes. In the bright light, a woman was in there.