》confessions

▪Carlisle POV ▪

I check on Adley one more time before I leave for the day; she's fast asleep, a book open on her lap. I put her book mark in place and put it aside, tucking her blanket over her. I stroke her head for a moment, knowing she's peaceful when she sleeps, and head out to the car.

Esme went home earlier but I had to finish my shift. If I'm honest, I only stayed here for a few extra shifts just to make sure Adley was safe and stayed here so we could foster her.

Today I drive home slower, but still fast, doing the drive in just under 2 hours. I'm trying to prolong the inevitable - telling the others about mine and Esme's plans to foster Adley. I know our minds won't be changed, but we would love to have our families blessing.

I park in the garage and sigh. Rosalie and Alice's cars are in the garage too, while I can hear Edward and Bella running here from the cottage. I keep my thoughts preoccupied so he can't cuss me out yet.

I head upstairs and find everyone in the living room, talking and laughing. Jacob, Seth and Embry are here too, raiding the kitchen for whatever food we have.

"Hey honey." Esme smiles and meets me with a hug.

I kiss her head and smile at everyone. Edward looks at me, frowning. He's probably wondering what I'm trying to hide from him.

I clear my throat. "Ok let's not prolong this anymore..."

Everyone stops talking and looks at me and Esme in dead silence. She grips my hand nervously and I take a deep breath. "Me and Esme want to foster a girl from the Seattle hospital I was at."

They all look confused. "Foster? A human?" Emmett asks. "But why?"

"You want to change her." Rose accuses.

Esme frowns. "Rose, honey, it isn't like that. We promise."

I give up trying to hide my thoughts and I look at the corner of my eye for a moment at Edward, seeing his lose his frown. "She's dying huh?" He says.

"See! You want to save her, like you 'saved' us!" Rose yells and stands. Em grabs her hand trying to pull her to sit beside him again. He's frowning deeply; he and Rose have different veiws on this life but he does try to value hers.

"Rosalie, no." I say sternly. "Me and Esme have agreed to not change her, that isn't why we want to help her anyway. We want to give her a chance."

"She's an orphan." Edward says.

Stop picking through my thoughts!

He smirks a little at that and I shake my head. "Yes she is. She has nothing and the state is having reservations about continuing her treatment."

"Treatment?" Alice says gently.

"She has cancer."

"Oh so it's what, charity work?" Rosalie rolls her eyes.

"Rose stop." Ness scolds.

I smile small at her and look at Rosalie as Esme talks. "I know you won't understand our decision, but we want to help her. Our immortality has taught us one thing and I'm sure you'll all agree; we value mortality as much as immortality and we are just trying to value her life.

"She has been through a lot of loss and we just wish to help her get better and find a family. We have no plans of keeping her forever or changing her. Me and dad were just thinking of doing something for others now you guys are all happy and grown up, if that's how I should even say it... We just want your blessings as it may affect you guys once she's here."