Pieces in Play

Sunset walked into the front office, unsure of what she was going to tell Principal Celestia, or more to the point, ask a request no sane person would ever ask of their high school principal. However, it was something she knew she needed to do. Part of it yes, was already a part of the deal they made after the formal, secondly, she felt it was necessary, but otherwise unrelated. Principal Celestia, as of yet, is the only one she seemed to have irrefutable trust in.

Once the receptionist saw her, she waved Sunset to Celestia's door and returned to her paper work. Sunset took a deep breath and knocked, then entered without waiting for an answer.

"Sunset," Celestia smiled, moving her papers to the side, "I'm glad you could make it. How have you been? Has Trixie been bothering you?"

Sunset took a seat in front of the desk, setting her bag on the other chair beside her, "I'm fine I guess, Pinkie Pie is having a sleepover tomorrow night and I'm really nervous about it. I've never been to one, much less had any experience with Halloween or how to behave at one. Pinkie gave me a list of things I need but I'm not sure if I should bring anything else." She took a deep breath, "Maybe I should just cancel."

"You will do no such thing." Celestia said with a commanding tone that almost made Sunset cower, "You've been through a lot in these past weeks and I do not want to see you sitting out when everyone else is having fun. You cannot avoid everything your friends want to do as a group"

And it gets you out of that old building for one night. Celestia thought to herself.

"I know," Sunset sighed, "I haven't really slept away from home before, not really. When I moved out of my parents' house, I live in the castle, and when I came here, I lived where I am now. Moved homes, just never been away from it."

"Tell you what," Celestia suggested, "You have my personal number so if you feel anxious or just want to talk, just give me a call."

"Really?" Sunset asked.

Celestia nodded.

After a moment of silence, Sunset snickered.

"What is it?" questioned Celestia.

"Nothing," She giggled, "It just reminds me of those books where a kid calls their mom because their homesick."

Celestia smiled, "Yes, I can see the similarities." After another short silence, Celestia spoke, "So, I assume that was not what you came here for."

Sunset flinched, "Oh, right. So, there is something important I needed to talk to you about but, it kind of breaches the student/teacher relationship."

"What is it?" Celestia asked.

She took a folder out of her backpack. "I've been keeping these in my locker since last year but I've had a few close calls since then and I'm not sure that my luck will hold out forever. You can say no, I can find something but I don't really know how safe they will be."

Celestia raised her brow and walked around and leaned against her desk in front of Sunset then gestured for the folder. She scanned over the first two pages, "You know you can access these at any time, right?"

Sunset shook her head, "I can't access my own government papers until I'm eighteen so I have to keep a physical copy. I just turned sixteen a couple weeks ago."

The light-haired woman bit her lip in thought, "I would be more than happy to. I am glad you put so much trust in me."

Sunset shrugged, "It's nice having an...adult I can trust. It was a better than the second option."

"What was the second option?" She asked curiously.

Sunset scratched the back of her neck nervously, "Guardianship."