Friend Down

Come Monday; Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow, Pinkie and Applejack walked into the school, tapping on their phones. None of them had heard from Sunset since before the earthquakes on Friday and were concerned as to what had happened.

"You don't think..." Rainbow's voice trailed off.

"Oh, I hope she's OK." Fluttershy said.

As they were passing the office, Vice-Principal Luna caught their attention.

"Girls." Luna said in a stern tone but it was somewhat softer than usual, "Can I speak to you five in my office please?"

They exchanged nervous glances but followed Vice-Principal Luna into her office. As they entered, they all gathered around her desk; Fluttershy and Rarity sitting in the two chairs provided.

Luna sat at her desk and took a deep breath to collect her thoughts. She did not want to reveal too much about what had happened, as to not upset them more than necessary. Sunset's living situation was also something she didn't want to reveal in its entirety. That was something Sunset should reveal for herself.

"As I told you on Friday," Luna began, choosing her words carefully, "Principal Celestia had planned to check up on Sunset Shimmer after we cleared out the school."

They nodded, not liking where this was going.

"When she got there..." Luna trailed off, dropping her façade to reveal a pained expression, "When she got there, Sunset's building had collapsed while she was still inside."

They all gasped in shock and horror at this new information. Fluttershy began to sob quietly while the others, including Rainbow and Applejack, had tears brimming their eyes.

Rainbow was the first to speak, "Is she..."

Luna smiled slightly, "Miss Shimmer is a lucky girl. My sister is watching over her at the hospital as we speak."

Everyone sighed in relief, though Fluttershy was still in tears.

"You could have lead with that." Rainbow grumbled.

"Can we see her?" Pinkie Pie asked.

Everyone started voicing their agreement before Luna raised her hand for silence.

"I'm sorry. I understand you want to check on Sunset but no one but family are allowed in to see her right now." Luna explained. She frowned, "Sunset has not woken up yet since the incident."

"But she doesn't have any family here." Applejack protested.

Luna nodded, "I am aware. Luckily, Principal Celestia is her emergency contact. I assure you, she will not be alone when she does wake up."

Rarity stood, steeling her nerves, "That's great, thank you." She turned to her friends, "I think we should all get to class and let Vice-Principal Luna get to her own work."

The others grumbled but exited the office.

Once they got into the hallway, they gathered in a circle. Fluttershy was shaking as she struggled to hold back the tears. Rarity was having a hard time too, now that they were out of the office. She didn't even feel the need to be a drama queen. Everyone had tears in their eyes.

Wordlessly, they all gathered into one big group hug in the hallway. The bell for class went but they remained where they were. None of the five girls had any intention of going to class. Instead, they headed to the band room where they knew they wouldn't be disturbed for the time being.

***

It was nearing lunch time when there was knock at Luna's office door.

"Come in." She said.