Talk it Out

When they all returned home, they unpacked the car. As soon as they finished, Luna and Chrysalis headed out for a while.

Sunset grew more nervous about their 'talk'. Oh, please don't give me 'the talk'. That's what sex Ed is for.

Celestia came back into the living room and sat on the other end of the couch but turned to look at Sunset. She herself was unsure about how to start the conversation, and she couldn't stop thinking about how much easier it was when Celestia was just acting as Sunset's counselor. Now though, it was obvious that's not how they viewed each other now.

"Look, Sunset. I want to know how you really feel in your situation now." Celestia spoke, "I can already see how your demeanor has changed since first coming to live here but I need to hear it from you."

Sunset sighed and remained silent long enough to make silence uncomfortable, "I've needed someone for a long time." She said finally, "Whether or not I could admit it, I knew. Despite popular opinion, I didn't just wake up one day and decide to bully everyone at school. It was gradual."

"Care to elaborate?" Celestia questioned.

She took a long, deep sigh, "I was jealous. Of the other kids I mean. They had something I never really had: a family that saw them for who they were and didn't expect anything of them. I eventually got angry at myself, the princess and my adoptive parents. I felt like I failed them and myself, that I wasn't good enough but also, at them for not standing by me when I needed it. I had literally no control over anything in my life. So, I took control of life at school. Then it turned to revenge and that lead to what happened at the formal."

"I wish I had seen it." Celestia said, "I could have stepped in a lot sooner."

"How?" Sunset questioned, "No one knew about my situation until the formal. You were like everyone else in thinking I had parents and an actual home."

"Yes, but all the times you gave an excuse as to why your parents could not come to the school..." She sighed, "Well, I should have known better."

Sunset leaned back in her seat, "I'm just glad you found out when you did. I wasn't in a good place after the formal and you were there for me the entire time. No matter how difficult I was to reason with."

Celestia laughed, "Yes, I suppose you were but it the end, you seemed to warm up to the idea."

Sunset smiled softly, "That's because I realized how much I need you there. I couldn't have gotten through that on my own, I know that now." She paused for a moment, deciding on what she was going to say next, "You were just my Principal and you helped me so much, even when you found out where I'm really from and what I actually am. Then, you decided to take me in and I didn't know how to feel."

Celestia watched Sunset. She couldn't figure out what she was feeling. Sunset seemed to want to say something but had conflicted feelings about it.

"I can't even begin to tell you how much everything you've done means to me." Sunset continued, "It wasn't until these past few weeks that I realized how much I needed..." She trailed off and bit her lip, unsure of her words.

"A family?" Celestia offered.

Sunset nodded and gave her a small smirk, "Yeah." She glanced at Celestia the averted her eyes, not willing to continue.

Celestia looked at Sunset, studying the younger girl. It seemed that she had something else she wanted to say but wasn't willing to disclose the information; not yet.