Chapter 14: Twice in one night

I hope he doesn't recognize me. I don't think he would anyways, I was gone two years, and my hair wasn't red anymore. It was now black. I just want it normal. And I had never seen this guy before. I guess you miss a lot in two years.

Chris was underestimating me. He still didn't know what I was capable of and that scared me because I didn't want to be very knowledgeable of all this. I didn't need to know how to shoot a gun twenty yards away from me in order to live life. Nor did I need to check people's background, but because this was the mafia and I had made a horrible decision in joining it, that's just how you will survive here. You had to be lion in order to survive.

But me, I will rather be the snake instead of the lion. Snakes were mischievous sneaky ass bastards. And that's exactly what I was except I didn't snitch or do anything that I would regret.

In the four hours of watching Danny, I called Christian to give me a background Check on him and Christian being the best handyman, already had done that for me. He sent me the files, and I had spent the four hours reading through it.

So far he was single, he definitely was rich and I was talking about he could take care of his four generations, rich. And something I could use that was interesting and useful was that he was fucking cousins with Daniella.

What were the odds of that, huh?

Though they weren't as close which was going to be tricky. And Daniella knew I was engaged.

But during the four hours I found out how to get close. They were having a family dinner and Daniella was to attend. I hated how I had to go through these personal things but I was desperate.

I saw him pulling out a cigarette and I got a weak but working idea to talk to him.

"Mind if I get one? I left mine at home thinking it wasn't classy to be smoking at this event, but I can't really stand another minute of that man talking and people asking me to dance." The last part was true, I was tired of people asking me to dance.

He nodded and directed the box of cigarettes towards me. I wasn't much of a smoker, in fact I hated it, but it wasn't as bad, and this wasn't my first.

I placed it between my lips and waited as he pulled out a lighter and lit it. "Thank you." I said as I puffed out the smoke.

"You don't look like the type to smoke." He said nonchalantly.

He was right, I wasn't.

"You don't look like the type either. More like the cigar type or maybe weed." I retorted.

He smirked. "You're right about that. But I can't be in this event high as hell. Though I could use some weed right about now." He looked at the cigarette with disgust yet he still smoked it. "Look, I'm not interested in desperate girls alright. So how about you go about and follow after your boyfriend or where ever the fuck you came from." He said causally. The nerve of this guy.

I laughed and shook my head. "Oh please. God what a pride that you have." I shook my head still smiling but it was bitter though he didn't know that. "You must really think that you're the most handsomest boy alive, but honey I just came out here for air and saw you with cigs and obviously I got what I wanted." I directed the cigarette at him, threw it in the ground once I was done with it and put it out. "You're funny though." I rolled my eyes and walked away, not looking back. I purposely said boy, that would trigger him.

Of course he was an ignorant dick though.

Okay maybe I kind of ruined my chance but I still had another at the family event his family would throw.

I went back inside and smacked my forehead. I can't ruin this, I just can't.

I was walking with my head low and my fists clenched, when my head hit a chest. I rubbed my forehead and looked up.

You would think that my body would be tense and my mouth would go dry and I would have goosebumps all over but that's not at all what happened. As I looked up at his green orbs I didn't get mad nor was I shaking.

You know what I did. I smiled. And apologized.

"Sorry sir. I didn't see where I was going." I went around him and I noticed his hand twitch.

"I'm surprised you came back."

I stopped walking and stood there, but I didn't turn around. I waited for his next words.

I knew he wouldn't stay quiet forever. Giovanni wasn't good at keeping his mouth shut.

I turned around and smiled. "Of course I would come back. New York is a beautiful place. Though I won't stay for long. And congratulations on your engagement by the way." I smiled sincerely, but of course I didn't mean it. He didn't deserve it. He didn't deserve happiness after what he did. But then again we at least had murdered about a three dozen people.

He looked at me suspicious. I waved my hand and said goodbye and left. I didn't need to waste my breathe on him any longer.

I went back to my seat replaying the events in my head. Hopefully Chris didn't see our chat because I didn't need him interrogating me.