Part 8

21 has been coming and going from Capsule Corp ever since that day that Bulma treated her. She believes it must be because she gave her emotions some more free reign. Whenever she's away for a long while, she starts to feel the need for company. So to give herself an excuse to stop by now and again, she trains with Trunks and helps Bulma gather parts for her projects. They both don't seem to mind.

"That's enough for today." Trunks says, out of breath.

"Oh fine." 21 replies, wiping her tousled hair out of her face. She appears to be less affected by the training, but that's logical. She has an endless supply of energy.

"You keep improving. You're really starting to give me a hard time." she compliments, making Trunks smirk.

"Only now I'm starting to give you a hard time?" he drills her, making her smile slightly.

"Let's just say that I'm happy you're not trying to kill me. I would have to give it my all."

As she looks into the distance, Trunks comes up, standing next to her. "Have you though about it yet?" he asks. Despite the vague question, she knows what he's talking about.

Two years ago, he returned her the paper holding her info. He asked her, if she was going to look for her family. She declined at the time, but he has asked her a few times since. He wishes she would change her mind. He would do anything to find his family if he had more left.

"I'm not going to Trunks." she tells him, turning to look up at him. Since a few months ago, he surpassed her height. She feels so tiny now.

"If they love you, they won't care about what you are. " he reassures her again, but she shakes her head.

"It's not just that. I'm... I'm scared. If they really are dead, and I believe they are, I don't want to get my hopes up to have them crushed again." she tells him softly. He nods in understanding.

"And besides, if they were alive... I should have been much older than I look now. That alone is enough to freak anyone out." she scoffs. Trunks can only shrug.

"Hey you two!" Bulma calls out from the doorway, making the two turn to her. "Come in! I've got something to show you!" she calls out before disappearing back inside. Trunks and 21 look at each other before shrugging and following after her.

"What's going on mom?" Trunks asks her as she motions them to come along. They follow her downstairs to find large egg shaped something.

"What do you guys think?" Bulma asks excitedly when Trunks finally recognizes it from the plans he's seen laying about. They haven't been allowed down here in some time as his mom wanted to work in silence.

"Still playing with your toy?" Trunks questions, teasing his mom. She however remains undeterred.

"I know you think I'm crazy darling, but people thought your grandpa was crazy and he became the greatest inventor in the world." she reminds him.

"Yeah, but grandpa wasn't planning to travel back in time." Trunks counters, still not into the whole idea of it all.

Bulma mutters some things as she tweaks around with the contraption. 21 stares at it curiously, wondering if such a thing as time travel is really possible.

Turning back to them, Bulma looks at her son pointedly. "Besides, where is your pioneering spirit anyway? Don't you want to help Goku defeat the androids? Nothing personal to you of course 21." she adds quickly. 21 shakes her head, not feeling impassive about it. Bulma sometimes slips up into generalization. After 16 years of being terrorized, 21 can't blame her.