Part 18

Tien took off and so 21, Trunks and Krillin picked up Goku, Chichi and Yamcha. Eventually Gohan showed up too after having brought Bulma and baby Trunks home. They decided to go to Master Roshi's.

On their way though, Bulma called and told them the strangest thing. Some man found another time machine like the one future Bulma made. It would be different one, because it looks like it's been left out to rust for a while and 21 still carries the original. So that too added to the confusion of all the changes that Trunks and 21 confirmed.

Trunks and Gohan left to take a look while 21 stayed behind to protect Goku, should the androids show up unexpectedly, handing him the capsule for comparison as they were to meet Bulma there.

................

"This is giving me a headache." 21 murmurs, holding her head as she processes the information Trunks just told her. "So some weird creature stole the time machine from a different parallel world and is hiding somewhere in this time? Really?" she breathes, staring out at the ocean as the waves roll back and forth over the beach.

"Yeah. I'm afraid so. It does explain why things changed so much already since it was here before us the first time." he explains, making 21 sigh.

"I have a terrible feeling about this."

They stay silent for a moment, lost in thought, the sea breeze playing with their hair. It almost seems peaceful with just the two of them. If only that were really true. There seem to be many storms brewing.

"I scare you sometimes. Don't I?" 21 asks out of the blue, trying to look calm, but there is a hint of sorrow. Trunks looks down for a moment, mirroring her sentiment. "So it's true." she whispers, smiling sadly, making him look up, determined.

"Not enough to scare me off." he says with conviction, surprising her. "I understand that being what you are and what you've been through means we approach things differently sometimes...but I stand by it....I don't care what you are. I do care about who you are though." he assures her, making her frown in confusion.

"But Trunks, I don't even really know who I am at times." she counters. "Julliet or 21? Sometimes I just don't know anymore." she whimpers.

He surprises her by wrapping his arms around her. "Don't you see that it's not one or the other? You are who you are now; a bit of both. And that's fine if you ask me. I like who you are now perfectly fine; a girl who is determined, strong, kind and a loyal friend, someone I know I can depend on and admire for still being able to smile at the little things despite all that you went through. So don't feel ashamed at being angry from time to time and making a mistake. I am too and I don't always do things I'm proud of, but that never stopped you from sticking by my side, so I won't leave yours either!" he tells her sternly.

Stunned into silence, she opts for returning the embrace full force. She's so glad, so glad to have him. Because they are both a bit broken and they need each other.

They are pulled out of their comfortable silence when Gohan calls them from inside the house. "What is it?" Trunks asks, seeing everyone in front of the TV.

"Bulma just called. Told us we should see this." Gohan explains, making Trunks and 21 turn their attention to the screen.

They watch the newscaster as they hear shooting in the background. Suddenly the newscaster seems to see something unusual by the look on his face and something happens to the cameraman before the broadcast is gone. When Krillin tries another channel all they can see through the disturbance, is clothes lying around on the street. The sound of shots fired resumes for a moment, before dying down completely.