Part 9

Trunks groans as he opens his eyes slowly. The light is hurting him. In fact, everything is. 'What happened?' he wonders until a familiar voice enters his ears.

"Trunks." his mother softly calls out, taking his shoulders to stop him from moving around. "I'm here sweetheart. It's your mommy. Everything's okay." she hushes him as he groans and moans painfully.

Finally he manages to focus and see her worried face before him. "Mom. It's really you." he sighs in relief.

She smiles in reply. "Of course. Who else? Someone's got to stay alive to take care of you guys."

"Where-Where is 21?" he immediately asks as his mind starts to clear and his memories return.

"She's okay. She's- Oh! Well here she is now." Bulma states as 21 steps inside the room, carrying a tray with water and biscuits.

"I though I heard something." she smiles softly. Trunks returns the smile, relieved to see her, only to gasp when she turns to face him fully. Her left eye is covered by a patch.

"21! What happened?!" he gasps, feeling his stomach sink.

She shrugs, glancing at the wall for a second. "You know." she says somberly before looking back at Trunks, trying not to look upset. The damage is done however as guilt settles in. This is all his fault he believes.

"I'm so sorry 21...and mom. As always you were right. I shouldn't have tried to take them on. They were too strong." he apologizes.

"You're alive you goose." Bulma smiles down at him. "You know that's all that matters to me right now." she tells him. Despite feeling rather upset still, 21 manages to nod in agreement.

A look of determination befalls Trunks as he speaks up; "Mom. I think I'm ready to take a trip in the time machine if it's ready." he states and with that 21 realizes that he finally learned from his experiences. It relieves her a little. Finally he's ready to use his head.

.................

"21, sweetie." Bulma calls sweetly from downstairs. 21 has gotten used to the nickname that has been given to her by now, so without looking up from her novel that she lend from the other woman she replies.

"Yeah?"

"I totally forgot to buy a new set of wrenches while I was in Central city. These are ready for the bin I tell you. Would you mind getting me a set? There's money on the kitchen counter. Thanks hun!" she calls out, leaving no room for arguing.

Blinking her one eye in surprise, the android finally shrugs before sliding off the couch after adding another ear to the pages of the book. Retrieving the money, she sets of to go.

Just as the door closes behind her, Bulma's head pokes out from the corner by the stairs. "Too easy!" she snickers. "All clear Trunks!" she calls before he comes out of his room carrying a full grocery bag. He's been nearly fully recovered by now and is back on his feet.

The duo rushes to the kitchen before quickly unpacking. Eggs, flour, butter, lemons, candles and more are retrieved from the bag. "We need to hurry." Trunks ushers his mom as he puts the oven on to pre-heat. To his relieve, the old thing still works. Bulma waves it off though.

"No worries. There isn't even a tool shop left in central city. She would either have to buy them off an underground market or go to the next city. It'll take her a while for sure." she assures her son.

"That's so mean of you." he grins in reply.

"Yeah well. Can't have her busting in on her own surprise, or she will have none of it. Just because she's an android, she shouldn't skip her birthdays. Sometimes she makes me so jealous. She'll probably never get wrinkles. She can stay beautiful forever." Bulma sighs in dismay, pulling at her face.

"I think you're still beautiful as well mom." Trunks assures her, making her smile.

"Aw!" she coos before grinning like a mad woman. "As well huh? So you think 21 is beautiful too huh?" she catches him, making Trunks go red quickly.

"Mom!" he scolds, feeling embarrassed.

"No need to feel shy Trunks honey. She is beautiful. Unless that red face comes from something you're not telling me." she hints, making Trunks stare at her with wide eyes, feeling cornered.

"Oh I'm just messing with you kid. Lighten up." Bulma smiles widely, slapping her son on the arm. Trunks only chuckles uncomfortably. With one last 'mother-knows-all' glance, she sets to cracking eggs.

.................

"I'm back." 21 calls softly when she steps inside Capsule Corp, only to be greeted by a nice smell and a room full of decorations that has seen better times.

"Surprise!" a duo of voices call out, their heads popping up from behind the sofa.

21 looks at them confused for a moment as Bulma quickly moves towards a cake she just noticed on the coffee table, lighting the candles that are on top of it while she and Trunks sing a merry birthday song. 18 pieces of them... She glances at Trunks, who smiles at her knowingly. She will technically always be 18 years old.

Unwillingly, a somehow familiar image flashes within her mind, seeing a man and woman in their forties, a tall girl of around 20 and a boy of a mere 12. They stand together, looking at her with bright smiles. "Go on, make a wish darling." the man urges her excitedly, holding ready a camera in his hands.

"Make a wish." another voice blends in with his, making 21 blink, the image disappearing and being replaced with two slightly worried faces. Before they can ask her why she was spacing out, she smiles at them gratefully before humoring them and blowing out the candles.

She doesn't question their reasoning or waves away their effort. She doesn't tell them that they shouldn't have. Because without them knowing, they already fulfilled a part of her wish and she's grateful for that.

....................

"Gosh. You don't know how proud I am at you for doing this. You look so handsome Trunks Briefs." Bulma smiles emotionally as she looks up at her slightly taller son who grows beat red at his mothers' commentary. He's ready to depart with the time machine, his signature sword strapped to his back.

She turns to 21, who was snickering at Trunks' embarrassed face behind his back. "Oh I'm so glad you're going with him. It makes me worry less. I'll miss you two so much!" Bulma states dramatically, making 21's face go blank as she remembers the threats the woman made at her if she didn't go with Trunks and quote; 'Bring her baby back safely'. 21 wasn't planning on going, but she learned a thing or two about Bulma that day. She shudders silently at the memory.

"I guess this is the antidote for Goku?" Trunks wonders as his mom hands him a capsule. The main mission of them would be to deliver this to the man, so he will survive a virus that is supposed to kill him and be there to fight 17 and 18 when they are activated.

"Do me a favor. Don't drop it." Bulma request a little nervously. She hates to think of the consequences.

"Stay out of trouble while we're gone okay?" he requests her in return.

"Sure. You know me." Bulma smiles.

"Yeah. That's why I'm worried." he states before throwing a look at 21. "You ready?" he asks.

She nods in reply. "Ready as I'll ever be." she states as the two fly up to get in the craft that Bulma built. They sit back to back. It's a little cramped as Bulma fitted in another seat, but they can cope.

After saying their goodbyes, the dome closes over their heads and the craft lifts to the sky. "Fingers crossed." 21 says, a nervous edge to her voice as she holds her crossed fingers out to the back of her for Trunks to see. He copies her action, holding his fingers to hers so she knows he's with her on this. It's not like time travel is an everyday business to him either.

As the craft whirs and rattles slightly, he settles on wrapping his hand around 21's instead. She twitches slightly in surprise, but goes with it as her nerves start to get the best of her, clasping onto his hand tightly.

Typing in the final commands, with his free hand, they soon disappear out of Bulma's view and travel to a place in time that will surely receive a stir from their presence, if they ever make it there.