Part 36

It has become inevitable. After regurgitating android 18, Cell's power reduces and he is reverting back to his previous weaker form. Cell looks to be traumatized by the mere idea.

He still tries to fight Gohan in his anger, but he is just too weak. Gohan is quick to knock him down.

Cell scrambles to his feet and looks at Gohan horrified as he approaches. "Stay away from me you monster!" he shouts ironically, before Gohan tosses him about some more.

Piccolo and Goku insist on Gohan to end it, but Gohan is still taking his sweet time. He has clearly grown overconfident. He will sadly soon learn to regret letting his ego get the best of him though.

Having run out of options, Cell seems to resort to one last-ditch effort. He decides to self-destruct. He blows himself up like a puffer fish. He intends to take everyone and everything with it.

"No don't!" Gohan shouts. He wants to stop Cell from doing it, but at the same time, he doesn't now what to do what won't set off the bomb that is Cell. Finally he understands that he has been wasting time. He falls to his knees in defeat. "What have I done?"

Everyone looks on in terror, as Cell is mere seconds away from blowing up, all for but one man. Goku has a grim look of realization portrayed on his face. He looks back at the others and Krillin catches his eye.

"What is it Goku? Do you have a plan or something?" Krillin asks his best friend.

"Look... there is not much time left and I can only think of one way to safe the Earth now." Goku tells everyone, a sad but confident smile playing on his lips.

"What are you talking about?" Piccolo wonders, confused by the man's expression, but Trunks seems to have caught on.

"No. Don't." he starts in a whisper. "I think I know what you have planned Goku, but you don't have to do this!" he calls out, watching as Goku puts two fingers to his forehead.

Goku seems to have made up his mind however. "Goodbye, friends." he tells them, making them all realize what is going on.

Krillin looks horrified. "No! Goku, don't leave us! No!" he yells before Goku disappears from their midst. He reappears between Gohan and Cell and lays a hand on Cells protruding stomach.

He looks over his shoulder at his son. "Hey, you put up a good fight Gohan. I'm proud of you." he says sincerely.

"What? Daddy?" Gohan asks confused as he looks up at his beloved father, his heart starting to sink.

"Take care of your mother for me. She needs you. Tell her that I had to do this Gohan." Goku tells him, feeling sorrow at having to leave his family behind. "Goodbye my son." he breathes before leaving the shaking boy behind as he uses the instant transmission technique to get himself and Cell away from Earth, so Cell can't harm the planet he so cares for.

After he's gone, it takes a moment for the realization sets in. Goku is truly gone. They know he must've been blown up alongside Cell. But they wish it wasn't true. It's too painful.

As they mourn their loss, it's clear that Gohan is blaming himself for his father's death. Krillin is the first to approach the sobbing boy; "That's right, cry. Just let it all out little buddy." he says gently, barely able to keep himself together.

"It's all my fault! Dad didn't have to sacrifice himself. I wish it would've been me! Now he's gone and I'm still here!" Gohan shouts in between his shaking sobs.

Julliet crouches down next to Gohan, rubbing his back. "Don't say that Gohan. He wouldn't want you to. Had you been gone instead of him, it would have ruined him. He wants you to live and be happy above anything else because he loves you more than anything." she tells him.