Part 14

21 looks at Bulma shocked after receiving a big smooch on her cheek. "I'm so glad you two are back safe and sound. Now I want to hear all about it." she orders, dragging them both inside.

After Trunks and 21 tell her the story she is laughing her ass off. "Oh how typical." she breathes before gaining a dreamy look in her eyes, laying her head in her hands. "I miss them so much." she sighs with a smile, making Trunks look at his mother with a pitiful smile. She quickly snaps out of it as she seems to recall something, smacking her fist into her hand.

"Right. Trunks, I'm putting you in charge of dinner, I have to have a little talk with our girl over here." 21 points at herself questionably. Bulma smiles cheekily, motioning her to follow. "Come on. Chop chop." she ushers, making for the basement. 21 glances at Trunks who only smiles, nodding.

Curious, 21 follows after Bulma. "While you two were away, I haven't been sitting still. Take a look at this." Bulma muses, turning on her computer and bringing up a file.

"My first project is to create you a new eye." she states, making the young woman look at her in awe.

"You can do that?" she ask, her mouth agape.

"I think so. It may take a bit of time, but I think I can manage with the bits of technology I salvaged from your damaged one." Bulma tells her before being surprised as strong arms wrap around her.

"Thank you Bulma!" 21 exclaims, making the woman chuckle.

"Hey, don't thank me yet."

"You said that is your first project. What's the second?" 21 asks curiously as she lets go.

Bulma smiles. "You caught on huh? I want to see if I can recreate some skin, for your arm. I know it makes you self conscious." she explains, making 21 subconsciously reach for her arm.

She smiles bitterly. "Yeah. It's worse enough that I'm an android, but I'm not even a completed android. I don't really feel either human or droid." she says sadly.

Bulma softly smiles, feeling sympathy for the young woman. "It must be tough, not feeling like you fit in anywhere. But I hope you know that whatever you are, you fit in with us just right." she comforts, making 21 look the woman in the eyes before nodding shyly.

"Yeah."

"Hey. I don't know how much I can do. I'm not Gero, but if you want, I could see how we can make you as human as possible again. I don't guarantee anything, but I'm willing to give it a go. You mean a lot to us and we want you to be happy." Bulma tells her softly, making 21's jaw tighten and her eyes droop.

"Right now, I wish I could cry. Because you guys make me really happy." 21 admits, making Bulma gather the slightly shorter woman in her arms.

"What is it you miss most? Human function wise? Tell me." she urges.

21 chuckles into the woman's shoulder as something springs to mind. "I miss sleeping." she reveals, making Bulma hum in surprise, stepping away.

"Really? I always wish I could work through the night."

21 nods, chuckling. "It's not as fun as it seems. The nights are boring...and lonely." she sighs.

"Alright. I'll make that project number three." Bulma states confidently.

21 looks up at her, smiling brightly. "Bulma, you have no idea how cool you are." Bulma laughs at the compliment, blushing slightly.

"Hey Bulma?" 21 asks, remembering something important she and Trunks wanted to ask. "Trunks and I would really like to go back to the past one more time. We want to see if our intervention helped." she explains, making Bulma nod.

"I get it. Honestly I would like to know myself, though I'm pretty sure. But seeing for yourself is better than being left guessing I suppose." Bulma muses 21 nods in agreement.

Bulma sighs. "The machine is all out of power though. We will need to gather some more. Hmm. Well, I suppose that is going to be your project since I have my hands full. Think you can manage?" she dares.

21 smiles. "Definitely. I'll get that baby working before you know it." she states determinately before rushing upstairs calling for Trunks to give him the good news. Bulma smiles after the young woman, before swiveling around in her chair and setting off to work.

.................

"Hey." 21 calls, climbing on top of the roof to crash down next Trunks who is staring at the stars in thought. "What's on your mind?" she wonders as she looks out into the galaxy as well.

He shrugs. "I'm just a bit nervous and excited. I wonder if all the trouble has been worth it." Trunks says, referring to the upcoming trip to the past. Some months have passed since the last.

"Well, we will find out soon enough. It's nearly ready for use." 21 tells him, feeling slightly on edge herself.

"I really hope it worked out alright." he sighs before closing his eyes and clenching his fists tightly, his knuckles growing white. "Too bad it doesn't make a difference for us."

Opening his eyes back up, he seems to deflate, feeling helpless no doubt. There is no doubt that they aren't ready to face their own android problem just yet. Not if they want a repeat of last time.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he watches 21 scoot closer. His eyes widen as she leans her head against his shoulder, and he feels blood rush to his face. "We'll get them Trunks. I'm sure of it. If I learned one thing since I met you; It's that nothing seems impossible." she smiles up at him. He doesn't know how she does it, but the gesture automatically makes him smile as well.

Lifting his arm, 21 lifts her head, so he can lay it beneath her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders as she now lays her head on his shoulder. He wonders if she can hear his racing heart as she looks back into his eyes with her own two beautiful ones.

His mom did a great job. They seem to twinkle and he finds himself a bit mesmerized as his stares with his mouth slightly agape. It feels like looking at a beautiful painting.

The spell is broken as she turns her head away, her eyes turning to the stars. He follows her gaze, feeling at peace for this small moment.

His eyes are starting to droop as the peaceful atmosphere lulls him to sleep. Because of that, he is unprepared when he feels the unmistakable sensation of lips on his cheek. He nearly second guesses himself as the feeling leaves him so quickly, but the mischievous glint in 21's eyes told him all he needed to know.

..............

The days passed quickly and luckily rather uneventful. To have 17 and 18 believe the both of them are dead has its perks, even if it's only temporary. They hope to be ready for them soon.

"You ready 21?" Trunks asks, prepped to go.

21 pulls on her ankle boots before jumping to her feet. "All ready." she states with a confident smile, giving him the thumbs up.

After several months of hard work and a lot of patience the time capsule is ready for another spin. They both are anxious to see the result of their previous trip, but not wanting to leave things up to chance, they picked a specific time to go back to: The day of the appearance of 17 and 18.

"You two promise to be careful alright? Look out for each other." Bulma tells them worriedly as they are about to part.

"We will mom. Promise." Trunks vows before hugging his mom a final time.

She smiles sadly. She can't help but have a bad feeling in her gut. She really hopes they'll both come back home soon. She hates not having them close by.

The two young adults soon depart, leaving the Briefs' household empty except for Bulma. Sighing, she stalks towards the basement. There is no better distraction than work. She doubts she'll sleep tonight.