Chapter 20:Fuck love

One for the money, and two for the show

I love you honey, I'm ready, I'm ready to go

How did you get that way, I don't know

You're screwed up and brilliant, and look like a million dollar man

So why is my heart broke?

-Lana Del Rey (Million Dollar Man)

✧✦✧

Third pov

Thatch didn't know what to do once she got her into the car. When he saw the argument going on between Kora and Shanks, he knew that he had to her her out of there. He could tell that she was on the verge of yelling at him, and he knew that that was probably the last thing that Kora ever wanted. It's already embarrassing enough to know that there were some people watching the argument.

'God, the rumours that are gonna fly after tonight...'

At first, the car ride was silent. Deadly silent. He was gonna attempt on grilling her for information, but he had a feeling that she just needed time to calm down before she could fully explain what was going on.

Kora, on the other hand, had no idea what to think. After all, she just saw her best friend in bed with a girl that she's only just met....not to mention that Thatch has a thing for her as well-

'Oh god Thatch...' Kora suddenly thought, 'what the hell am I gonna tell him? The truth is gonna hurt him so bad. I don't wanna hurt him, he doesn't deserve that...'

"So...." Thatch spoke finally. Kora sighed, "Tonight just keeps getting better, doesn't it?" She chuckled sarcastically. "Can I ask about what happened?" He asked. Kora froze, and nervously played with her fingertips. "Well?" He asked. "I...I saw Shanks in bed with another girl." She spoke. "Oh shit really?" Thatch asked, surprised. "Yeah I..." Kora ran a hand through her hair, "I think I was too late to apologise. I saw him and her, and I just left...them when he chased after me, I just.." She grit her teeth, not finishing her sentence. "Did you know the girl?" He asked. Kora was silent, before she said, "No, I didn't."

"Do you know what makes this whole thing worse?" Kora asked. "What?" "The fact that he was just so...." She couldn't find a word, "he gets upset at me for nearly sleeping with Ichiji, and then he turns around and sleeps with...her." Kora didn't bother in holding back her tears, "I mean...how dumb is that? How could he? I...I trusted him...god..." Kora hid her face with her hands, "why? Why am I so stupid? Why did I have to try and do that with Ichiji?" She sobbed.

As Kora quietly errors next to Thatch, Thatch felt incredibly awkward, yet sympathetic towards Kora. Awkward cause he's never dealt with a crying girl before. What do I do? Thatch has pondered.

At a stop light, Thatch put his hand on her knee, "I guess it shows you what kind of guy Shanks really is." "It's why I'm upset," she wheezes, "I've known him for so long -since we were kids- and he does this to me?! Was he so upset that he just had to get back at me? Doesn't he know...doesn't he know what I go through?!"

'What does she mean by "what I go through"?'

"I just...I just want him to love me...." Kora sobbed. Before Thatch could do anything sympathetic, the light turned green and he had to start driving again. "Kora, I'm gonna help you get through this, okay? If Shanks does or says anything to you, I want you to tell me, alright?" "But why?" Kora asked. "Because...friends help friends, don't they?"

A new found admiration for Thatch had sparked inside Kora. She couldn't help but gaze at him admirably. She found that she was getting urges to just pour all of her feelings all over him, as if he was the godmother to fix all. She knew that she shouldn't, she in fact felt that she should be dealing with this all on her own.

'Thatch can't know that it was Valkiria that Shanks was with...but then, am I just going to make him upset if I don't tell him? He deserves the truth.'

"Thatch...what am I gonna do?" She whispered. "About Shanks?" Thatch asked. "Yeah....." "Well, sure you may have aggravated him a little, but it's his own fault for turning around, and doing what he did, especially since he told you to not sleep with him. Maybe...you two should have some space." Thatch offered. Kora sighed once more, "I'm sorry....." She blubbered. "For what?" He asked.

'I'm sorry for hiding Valkiria from you. I'm sorry about lying. I'm sorry about what might follow.'

"For dumping all of this on you..." She murmured. Thatch shook his head, "No need to be sorry. Now come on, let's just get you home."

✧✦✧

Kora pov

I spot Father waiting for Thatch and I at the front door. A pinnacle of dread settled inside me, as Thatch and I walked up to the front door. 

"Where have you been?" Father demanded. "Party with Shanks." I replied. "Shanks...I thought he was still in Raftel." He asked. "No, he's only just recently moved back here...Thatch is staying the night by the way." I add. "Oh it's fine, I really should-" "Alright, we'll set up bedding for him then." "But-" I grabbed his wrist, "Nah, we're sharing a bed." "WHAT?!" Thatch stammered. "Well, we're getting married, we oughta get used to sharing a bed, right?" I asked.

'I just need someone with me....'

Thatch sighs, "Alright..." Father nods, "Alright, I'll have things sorted for you then. Until then, Kora, you and Thatch can just wait until the bath is ready." "Cool."

I dragged Thatch over to my room, but he snatched his hand back, "Kora, we should've consulted this first." I shrug, "It'll be fine....I'm not a slut." "I wasn't insinuating that!" He groaned, "It's just....I've never slept next to a girl before...." Realisation hit me, "Oh right, nah you'll be fine." i winked playfully, "I'll scare away the big bad monsters." He sweat drops, then sighs, "Show me to your room."