Chapter 26: Her perspective

Real love's hard to fuck

So she don't waste her time

You ain't gon' catch her crying

She ain't gon' lose her mind

-The Weeknd (Six Feet Under)

✧✦✧

Valkiria pov

Being born as a Moonlight, my little sister and I were drummed into our minds as to what was considered an automatic sin. Our Tutors told us what they thought was a sin, and we had to repeat what they said, in the most monotone voices ever. I remember this one sin that a tutor told me once. It was to never have sex with another man when you're already married and/or engaged.

That day she told us that, I found her with a man, who I knew for a fact wasn't her husband. Her husband was this tall lanky man, with tan skin, amber eyes and dark hair. The man she was fucking with, was this pale man with blonde hair. After I saw that, I had thought:

'Does that mean that I can do that as well since she sinned?'

It mustn't be so bad if my original tutor did it. Oh well, that's what I thought. Arabella told me that she saw such an action as unforgivable. Then again, Arabella has always been a child of grace and purity to our family. She was the true heir to the Moonlights; the one to take over when Father dies.

*flashback*

There was this boy in junior high that I had met in the past. Initially, I only ever knew of him because of how my cousin, Amber, had a crush on him. She would not stop talking about him. It was a true fact that she was in love with him; she was convinced of it.

It was an Autumn day, and it was the end of school. I had just finished cleaning up the classroom with another classmate. I planned to meet with Amber so that we could walk home, and maybe grab some ice cream together. Just as I was leaving, I heard footsteps, followed by a loud thud. I turn and let out a small chuckle when I saw that he had tripped over.

"Roci, we ought to wrap you in bubble wrap soon." I teased, helping him to his feet. He also chuckled to himself, "I'm afraid that won't help at all, Val." He dusted himself off, "Anyway, I needed to talk to you about something."

It was then that I noticed why Amber thought she loved him. He's....pretty...cute with a hint of tainted innocence. Finally, something attractive at this damn school.

"You left your..." Rocinante looked uncomfortable, as he handed me a small bag. I looked inside and found the bra that I lost last week. "Oh, you found it!" I smiled, "Thank god, I was getting worried..." I fake blushed, "It's one of my favourites." "I can see why-" He stopped himself from speaking, and I almost smile when I saw how embarrassed he was. He began to stutter. "It's fine..." I take a step towards him, my confidence growing, "I have plenty others that you might like as well."

Despite some part of me telling me that what I was doing was wrong, I just...I could feel something. An urge, a desire. Everyone knows me as the perfect Moonlight, as the one that'll go to some high-end college, and marry a lawyer, and that I'll live happily ever after. But....with every other fibre of my being, deep down, I didn't want that.