Chapter 1

24 Hours Before I Left

       I printed out all the papers I found just to have proof in case they wanted to deny it like they usually did. I had a feeling that I was adopted but they never confirmed it. Funny how they kept my name Miya though.

       "Why didn't you tell me about my birth parents?!" I yelled.

    My parents had this look of horror on their face. Like Freddy Kreuger was looking at them through a window.

       "What are you talking about?" My dad asked sounding very irritated.

          "Oh My Gosh! Stop lying and tell me why you just didn't tell me? I'm not that stupid, naive little girl anymore!" I said while throwing my adoption papers at them.

       "You ungrateful child. They didn't want you. We gave you food, shelter, and an education. Plus a nice check came to us every month from the government because of you." My mom said with so much hate. I started to tear up.

       ''All my life, I wanted to just  you two proud of me. You two never even gave me the time of day. Why?" I asked.

    My parents looked at me and said, "Because you're not our real daughter."

I started to cry picking up all my adoption papers.
My dad looked at me saying,

       "Since you're 18 and graduating tomorrow, we want you out. We'll empty out your college fund and you can do as you please with it. We aren't total monsters."

   I stayed one more day just to get my diploma but after that I couldn't get out of this place fast enough. But maybe this is a gift because I now know I have a real family out there and I'm ready to find them.