Chapter 1

I sat in the taxi, watching the desolate miles of land pass me. The air conditioning was on full blast, but the heat was still overbearing.

The drive to Morganville had always been horrible. But, I had only come once before, to find my brother.

When I was a baby, I was sent to England, and I lived with members of my family that I have no idea how I was related to them. I knew I had family over in America, I knew them when I was little, I knew my brother, and his best friend. I hadn't known my parents. They had never really spoken to me, and they still don't. That's because of an argument no one ever talks about.

I was going back today, to see my brother. He was married now. Needless to say, I wasn't invited to the wedding, but that wasn't his fault.

The taxi driver was whistling to an old tune playing out of his out of date stereo in the old car.

I could see the 'Welcome to Morganville' sign approaching in the distance, and I knew that now there would be no turning back, either I was let to go home, or I would never get out alive.

That's the thing about Morganville, most people who left had no memory of Morganville when they did. Amelie knew me. I was a Glass. She wanted me to remember, but the memory tore me, not being able to tell anyone when I was away, not being able to contact my own brother.

The taxi stopped at the sign.
'This is as far as I go.' The driver said in a rough voice, and I opened the door.
'Thanks' I said, handing him money through the open window. Usual rip off.

I walked past the sign, and officially into Morganville.

'Welcome to Morganville, you'll never want to leave!'