Chapter 4

'W-what?' I stammered, shocked with what she just said.

'I'm getting old, child. I'm immortal, but even immortality has its flaws. I still age. Inside, I'm always aging. I will get weaker, and I know that I won't be able to carry on. I need someone there, to take over.'

'What does that have to do with me?' I asked, confused why she'd bought this subject up with me.

'The Glass family has always been close to mine. They've stood by, through the years. And you, Elizabeth, you are like a daughter to me.'

I sat, waiting for her to carry on. Amelie looked down at her perfectly polished nails, then back at me.

'Elizabeth, I need you. You're the only person I can trust.'

I stared at her in shock. 'But, what about Oliver? What about Michael? He's still a Glass.'

'I can't trust Oliver.' She said, as if this whole situation was simple. 'And Michael can't.'

Can't what? I thought. 'Amelie, there's others. There's other people - Vampires' I said, meeting her cold grey eyes.

'They're gone now. All I have is you. I can't trust anyone any more.'

There was a tense silence, whre Amelie just sighed. I had never understood that; they don't need to breathe, but they still sigh?

'I'll do it.' I said quietly, and Amelie looked back towards me.

'You have to understand what you're agreeing to.' She said, placing her hand on mine.

'I know, and I do.' I said, making eye contact. 'I know I have a choice, but I know that I have to. For you.' I said, not taking my eyes away from her glassy eyes.

There was a knock at the door, and a woman poked her head inside of Amelie's office. She was a vampire, of course.

Amelie just gave her a simple nod, and the woman closed the door again, then she stood up. 'We must speak soon.' She said, and then opened the door, and I took the hint and walked out wih her following. 'Elizabeth.' She said 'Be careful what you say.'

I walked out of the building, and soon found Michael, waiting in his car. I opened the door and got in.

'Well?' Michael said, as I fastened my seatbelt.

'Well what?' I said back, trying not to look at him. I couldn't

Michael started the car. 'What did she want?' He said, raising his voice.

'Just to... say hi.' I said, not wanting to tell him. Not yet.

The rest of the ride was in silence, no radio, no talking.

He pulled the car up outside his house, and I got out before him, and walked straight up to the door. I had to wait for him to get out of the car for him to unlock the door. He walked inside and I followed him in, and he locked the door behind me.

'Tell me.' He said, slamming his keys down on the table next to the door.

'Nothing happened!' I shouted back at him, moving away from him.

Eve came running downstairs, hair dripping. 'Jeeze what's going on?' She said, staring at Michael. He ignored her.

'Amelie wanted something and you're hiding it. Now what did she want?!' He snapped, not looking towards Eve.

I couldn't not tell him for any longer. 'Michael will you shut up?! She asked me to take over from her when she needs me, okay? Are you happy now?!' I shouted, pushing past him to walk off. He grabbed my wrist.

'What?' Michael asked, staring at me.

'She needs a successor and I said yes.'

'Elizabeth! You don't know what you're agreeing to!' He yelled, keeping hold of my wrists.

'I'm not a child any more!' I shouted back, trying to pull my wrist free of his grip but it was no use.

'I didn't think I was when I made a decision like that either.' He said, more quietly.

Now it was my turn to ask the questions. 'What?!' I said.

'I made that mistake. I was happy at first. Then everyone changed. I don't want you to go through with that. I escaped.'

That's what Amelie had meant.

'Why haven't you told me this before?!' I shouted.

'Well, it's not exactly a normal conversation is it?!' Michael shouted.

I pulled my wrist free. 'I'm going. Don't follow me.' I said, and grabbed Michael's keys from the table, unlocked the door and walked out.

I knew exactly where I was going.