Chapter 5

I closed the front door quietly behind me. The sun was just beginning to rise. After seeing the Rowell family, I decided to have a walk around Founder's Square for a bit again, just to clear my head.

I walked up to my room. I opened the door. Myrnin was in - he must have finally finished at the lab.
'Elizabeth,' he said, and smiled.
I smiled weakly back. 'Hey,' I said.
'What's happened?' Myrnin asked, noticing that something was wrong.
I sighed. 'What hasn't?' I asked, and sat on the bed.

I fell to sleep quite fast, and I was glad of that - it didn't leave me much time to think about everything.

***

There was a note on Myrnin's side of the bed.

Gone to the lab. Won't be back until late.

Again. He was spending more and more time there. I didn't even know what he was working on - I didn't understand the science that he talked about. I wished I was smart enough. At times, I felt left out because of it.

I got up and got ready, then walked downstairs. The first things I noticed were the suitcases at the bottom of the stairs - Mum and Dad's. Eve and Michael were just tidying up from dinner. They weren't really talking that much.
'What's going on?' I asked.
Michael and Eve looked at each other, not saying anything.
'What?!' I asked.
I heard footsteps come from behind me. I spun around. My parents were stood, looking as if they were about to go out.
'We're going home.' My mum said. 'We have to go back to work, we can't stay here forever.'

When they first came, I had been hoping that they wouldn't stay. I hated them, and I didn't want to have to spend time with them. Now, it had changed. They were okay with me getting married with Myrnin. They had tried to be parents to me. I didn't want them to leave. I had only just met them - my own parents - and now they were going, and I didn't know if I would ever see them again. I couldn't travel outside of Morganville to see them, so they would have to come back to Morganville if I was ever to see them, and coming to Morganville is hard for anyone, and even harder for people who keep their memories of it - I knew that from experience.

'When are you leaving?' I asked them, once we had all gone through and sat down on the settee.
'Tonight. It's a long drive, so we want to set off before tomorrow.' My dad said.
'Can't you stay? Just for a bit?' I asked.
Michael laughed. 'You've changed.' He said. I raised my eyebrows.
'We have to get back. Amelie has given us permission. If we don't go tonight, we might not be able to go.'
I sighed.

'We should be going now.' My mum said. 'Elizabeth, it has been great to meet you. One day, we will explain everything to you - why you went to England, and why we never contacted you. Just not yet. The time will come for us to tell you. You are an amazing girl, and I wish I could see you for longer - hell, I wish I was there to bring you up. You are going to go far in life.'
I smiled. She seemed proud of me. It was such a change to when I met her. It felt really good to know she was proud - it was like some part of me was no longer missing. 'Thanks,' I said.

We walked through, and my parents grabbed their suitcases.
'Don't let Myrnin mess you around.' Dad said.
I smiled again. 'I won't.' I said.
Eve walked up and stood at the side of me, and wrapped her arm around my shoulders.
'Is this it?' I asked as my parents opened the door. Michael was standing quietly at the side of Eve.
My parents shrugged.
'I guess it may be.' Mum said. 'We will try to come back, but you know the Founder...' She trailed off.
I nodded. I knew The Founder too well.
'Bye then,' I said, and smiled.
'Bye,' They both said.

My parents walked out of the door and out their suitcases into the boot to their car. They got in and started the engine. We were all stood at the door waving when they drove off.