Chapter 1

'Yo, I'm back, and not even fanged!' Eve shouted, kicking her Dr Marten against the door to slam it back, as her hands were full of bags from shopping. She was dressed like Eve usually does: wearing tights with skull patterns on them and a lot of dark makeup on a pale face.

I walked over to her and grabbed two of the bags full of this weeks groceries. 'I told you, you should let me come.' I said, carrying the plastic bags through to the kitchen before the handles snapped.

'Lizzy, if you came, we would probably get mobbed. Again.' She said, dumping her keys down and bringing the bags that she was carrying through. To be fair, last time was a one off. It was my first time out in public in Morganville after returning from England, and everyone knew about me getting ill. But Eve hadn't worried then about getting bit.

Oliver was always putting Eve on late shifts, she was coming out most of the time in the dark. Luckily she had Amelie's protection, but that wouldn't stop all vampires. Especially the ones who didn't feel like following the rules.

Michael walked downstairs from having a shower.

'Mikey, no fang marks!' Eve said as he walked in. Michael had been worried. He didn't like the idea of Eve being out after sundown.

'Good.' He said, giving my sister-in-law a kiss. 'We'll unload this.' Michael said to me, giving one of those looks which obviously meant that he wanted to be alone with Eve.

'Okay.' I said 'I'll just go round to Shane's for a bit.' I said, deciding not to scar myself for the rest of my life by staying there.

I picked up my keys and went out, and around to Shane's next door. Shane had given me a key to his for whenever I wanted to go around. I unlocked the door and walked in. I could hear that Shane was playing video games as soon as I walked in. Claire walked through to meet me.

'Hey Liz.' She said. 'You come second best to video games too?' She asked, walking through to the kitchen with me in tow.

'No.' I said. 'I decided to leave before I was scarred for life by Michael and Eve.' I laughed.

'Well,' Claire said, putting her kettle on 'you're lucky. I couldn't get away from it.' Claire laughed.

Claire had been working a lot for Myrnin again lately. I haven't bothered asking what they are working on, because there is only so much science I could understand. When Claire was around, I would just grab a book and sit reading for a while until they both got bored. Claire had gotten a lot closer to me over the past month. We spoke a lot now with us both being at Myrnin's. I didn't get much time alone with Myrnin at the moment, but it didn't bother me. Myrnin had seemed really happy over the past few weeks, and he enjoyed working in the lab.

'Claire!' Shane yelled. 'You better get your butt back in here before this next zombie comes, or I'm dead!'

Claire laughed, and placed the coffee down that she had just made and walked through to Shane. I followed and stood behind the settee. Shane had been so focused focused on his game he still hadn't noticed I had come in.

Shane got killed my a zombie, and at the same time I covered his eyes with my hands.

Shane screamed like a girl. Claire couldn't stop laughing with me. I walked over to the settee and sat in between them, still laughing.

'Did I scare you?' I laughed. Claire was wiping tears from her eyes from laughing.

'No. I was just...' He began, but he had no idea what to say.

'Face it, Shanaynay,' Claire said. 'Liz scared you.' She managed to choke out in between laughs.

Shane picked up the cushion that was next to him on the settee and hit me with it. 'Hey!' I shouted, and took it off of him and hit him with it.

'Girls,' Claire warned, aiming it more so wards Shane. 'No fighting in this house.'

'No fair.' Shane said, then threw the cushion at Claire.

After a while, I got up and went back home to Michael's, hoping that I wouldn't regret going into the house.

Inside it was silent. The lights were all off downstairs, and no noise at all came from upstairs.

I tiptoed through to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle from the fridge - I really ought to go to the Blood Bank soon - and then walked upstairs. I pressed the button to open the door to the secret room, and walked up. Lately, I'd spend a lot of time up there. Michael still looked uncomfortable when I was drinking, so I got up there to be out of his way. Also, it was so much quieter up in the secret room - and since I'm a vampire and I can hear just about everything, it's quite a relief to have absolute silence.

The light was on as I went up the steps. I must have left it on, although I didn't think I had. I hadn't. Someone was up there. Voices were talking in a hushed tone. The door clicked shut behind me, and it made me jump, I began walking up the stairs again when Amelie appeared at the top of the stairs.

'Elizabeth.' She said. 'Go to bed.' Amelie shouted in a whisper.

'Who is it?' Michael's voice came from behind her.

'Amelie, let me see my brother.' I said, and continued walking up the stairs, getting closer to Amelie. she didn't back off.

'Do not question my authority, child. You may have authority over Morganville, but you may not command me.' She snarled, moving down a step. 'Now go!' She shouted.

I thought about turning around and running. The house went extremely cold and unwelcoming towards me, but I stayed where I was. Why was Amelie hiding Michael? 'Founder,' I addressed her. 'I'm going to see my brother. Now!' I snarled, looking her in the eyes.

'Amelie, who is it?' Michael asked, annoyed. His voice sounded tired.

Amelie turned to look at him, me at the same time I barged past her.

Michael was lying down on the settee. He looked paler than usual.

'Michael,' I said. 'What's happened?' And moved back from him. I could smell blood. His blood.

'Liz, go to bed.' He said.

I could see blood on him. I looked him over. He had bite marks on his neck.

'Amelie.' I snarled. 'What the hell have jou done to him?'