Chapter 1

'Be careful.' Michael said, and I nodded, and looked over to Myrnin standing next to me.

Myrnin laughed. 'Yes brother.' He said, and laughed.

Michael sighed. He raised his eyebrows.

I elbowed Myrnin in his ribs, and he acted as if it hurt.

We walked outside, and made the usually short walk to Myrnin's place. When I say usually short, I meant when Myrnin's not here. He seemed to like walking slow. He grabbed my hand, and I looked up to him and smiled.

Myrnin's face looked sharp under the orange street lights, his cheekbones shadowed by the light over us. Normal people would find us both a bit creepy. He looked even paler than usual, and his hand seemed colder than usual.

'Are you okay?' I asked, as we walked around the unlit corner onto the street which had the alley leading off of it.

Myrnin nodded, he didn't look at me.

'We don't have to go if you don't want to.' I said.

Myrnin sighed, looking down to me. 'If I don't go now, I know I won't go.' He said.

We turned down the darkened alley of his house. There was debris all over the concreted walkway, from the fire a few days ago.

His shack was just a heap of metal and wood peices, no longer standing. There was still a faint smell of smoke in the air.

I picked up some wood and some metal and threw it to the side of the wreck, uncovering the staircase, which was blackened from the flames.

I turned and looked at Myrnin. He was running his hands through his hair, looking upset. No wonder.

'I'll go first.' I said, turning towards the stairs. Myrnin was right behind me when I took the first step.

'Be careful.' He said.

It was dark down there. All that lit us was the pale rays from the moon light, barely reaching halfway down the stairs. I reached to the side of the stairs and felt where I knew there was a light switch. To my surprise, the lights actually came on.

What I saw all around his lab took my breath away. Everything was wrecked. The remains of burnt books were scattered all over the floor. The wooden desks were burnt, barely holding themselves up. Glass lab equipment was smashed on the floor, glittering sharply under the lights.

Everything was wrecked.

I turned around, and Myrnin was still stood at the bottom of the stairs, as if he was frozen. I walked back over to him.

'All of the work I've done.' He said quietly. 'It's all gone.' He closed his eyes and leaned against the sooty wall.

I put my hand on his shoulder. 'We can sort this.' I said.

Myrnin shook his head.

'Let's just clean this up.' I said, grabbing his hand. I grabbed a roll of bin bags out of the bag that I had brought, and threw it at Myrnin.

'What?' He asked, holding the roll of bags up.

'I can't open them.' I laughed. I hated trying to open bags, it always left me frustrated.

Myrnin laughed. 'Children are useless.' He said, opening a bag and passing it to me.

I began clearing up some of the burnt books that were too far past it. Myrnin walked over to help.

'Bad books.' I pointed into the bag and laughed. 'Good books.' I pointed towards a small pile of books that were still readable.

I pulled a hardback out that looked newer, and it wasn't very burnt.

'Myrnin.' I said, and he looked over. 'Why the hell do you have a copy of Twilight.' I laughed.

'Well,' he said. 'I wanted to see what humans actually think about vampires.'

I laughed. 'Myrnin.' I said. I held up the book. 'No one really thinks that vampires sparkle. Seriously.'

Myrnin laughed.

'Of all books to survive the fire.' I said, and threw it into the rubbish bag.

'Hey, that book wasn't burnt!' He said.

'I didn't say this bag was just for burnt books. I said bad books.' Myrnin laughed at me, growing another book in.

We cleared the books quite soon, and filled many bin bags full of burnt books and odd pages. His lab looked more empty.

Myrnin walked over to the other end of the lab. 'My equipment!' He yelled happily.

'A bit personal.' I laughed. Myrnin just looked at me confused.

'Most of my lab equipment survived.' He said, opening up a metal cupboard. He smiled at me.

I shook my head. 'You're so much like a kid.' I said, clearing some rubbish off of the piano.

'The piano survived.' I said, and laughed.

Light was beginning to shine from up the stairs. Myrnin had also noticed.

'I can't leave now.' I said, as the sun began shining in.

Myrnin smiled.