Chapter 15

Amelie was sat across from me at the table at Michael's. Myrnin was sat next to me, holding my hand underneath the table. Michael had gone out and Eve was at work. Amelie looked disapprovingly at Myrnin and I.

'I love him.' I said to Amelie quietly.

'I know, but you can't be with him.' Amelie said.

'Why?' I asked, taking a risk.

Amelie glared at me. 'Because he's dangerous.' She said.

Myrnin's hand was shaking. 'I'm different Amelie. You know that.'

'I need to protect Elizabeth.' She said.

'I won't let anything happen to her.' Myrnin said.

'Myrnin.' Amelie said. 'Elizabeth is young. She can survive a lot less than us.'

'I know.' Myrnin answered, sighing. 'But she's survived... Everything.' He said, not mentioning yesterday's event.

'Please.' I said to Amelie. 'Can't I have this choice? It's my life it will effect.'

Amelie stood up, and pushed her chair under this table. 'Ypu need to understand that Myrnin is dangerous. I'll let you make your own choice, but just be careful.' She said, then walked out of the house.

Myrnin turned to me, and stared into my eyes. His eyes were an impossible shade; brown, with gold, and green. They were every colour, and they seemed so strange, but so right. So right on him.

'What did she mean?' I asked him. 'About you being dangerous.'

Myrnin sighed, and loosened his grip on my hand. 'I've killed people, Elizabeth. I've killed vampires. I didn't used to be stable. But now...' He shrugged. 'I guess I'm the same now, if I were to be honest. I'm not the most stable vampire. And I don't fully trust myself. But I want to be with you.' He said, looking down. 'But if you don't love me for that--'

'Myrnin.' I interrupted him. 'I will like you no matter what. Some risks are worth taking, and I've chosen my risk, and I like my choice. I wouldn't change this for anyone.'

Myrnin smiled.

There was a knock at the door, and I got up to get it. I opened the door, and Claire was standing outside. 'Hey.' She said. 'Look, I'm sorry--'

'Just come in.' I said as I noticed the beam of sunlight coming through the door right next to me.

'Oh, yeah, sorry.' She said, and came in.

I walked back through to Myrnin, and as soon as Claire came in he smiled.

'Ah, young Claire.' He said. 'So nice to see you.'

Claire stared at him in astonishment. 'I thought that no-one knew about you two?' Claire said.

'Amelie does now.' I said. 'She found out yesterday.'

'Oh, right.' Claire said.

There are moments when you just feel nervous around people, and right now, I felt nervous around Claire. After I heard her and Shane arguing yesterday, I feel worried around her.

'Anyway, I just came to say sorry for yesterday. I was an idiot.' She said. 'I understand how you feel about all of this.'

I shrugged. 'It's okay.' I said.

'Okay.' She said. 'Well, I best get going.' She said. 'Oh, and Myrnin,' she said, and Myrnin looked up 'I should be back to help you again soon.' Myrnin smiled, and Claire walked out.

I winced as a pain came back in my chest from yesterday. Myrnin stood up in a rush and put his arm around me, and I went to sit down.

'You know you should be resting.' He said. 'At least just for today.'

I laughed.

There's a thing about Myrnin's voice which can instantly cheer you up. I think it cheers everyone up. He always has a hopeful tone, even in the worst situations, he can sound hopeful. Even when he had no hope, like yesterday, he tries to sound hopeful because it makes others hopeful. His voice is almost always caring as well. It's soft, and comforting. I think for me, though, it's the hint of English in his accent. He can make me feel at home even when I'm miles away. It makes me feel as if I belong around him.

Myrnin was at next to me, his arms wrapped around my shoulders. His touch was cold, but at the same time it was warm. Warm because it felt right to be here with him.

'Anyway.' Myrnin began, breaking the silence. 'I don't know much about you.' He said and laughed

'I'm forever a mystery.' I said and laughed. 'I was sent to live in England, and I can't remember my parents. I've never spoken to them. No-one understands it. Most people haven't been through this.' I said.

'You're right there.' Myrnin said, then laughed.

'I had a best friend, her name's Helena. I do miss her, but I know it's no use asking Amelie if I can see her...'

Myrnin nodded.

'What about you?' I asked, leaning into him.

'I've seen so many years.' He said. 'I don't know what to talk about. I've seen so many things in my life, things that you wouldn't believe. I could prove many historians wrong if I liked. My parents were French, and I can't remember them much. I moved to England when I was young. Then I moved here. There was a girl once, but... Ada died. But she was selfish, and cruel. She turned me against Claire. She turned me against everyone.'

I looked up to him.

'Seriously? You want to know more?' He said, and laughed.

'Not really.' I said. 'I just couldn't help but to look at you.'

Myrnin smiled, a kind, broad smile, with gleaming white teeth. His eyes seemed to light up every time he smiled. I don't know why, but it seemed special every time he smiled. Sort of as if I shouldn't take him for granted. His smile reminded me that I was lucky; lucky to have him, lucky to still be here.

He ran his hand through my hair. 'Your hair is so red.' He said, as if it was something new.

'I'm tired.' I said, leaning my head onto him, my red hair spilling everywhere.

'What is is they call you these days?' He said. 'Oh, yeah. Lightweight.' He laughed.

'Shut up.' I said, and playfully elbowed him in the ribs.

I closed my eyes and allowed myself to fall asleep.