Chapter 13

'I'm back!' I said, walking into the lounge. Michael was sat on his guitar, Eve had gone out to work.
'Hey.' Michael said, focusing on his guitar rather than me.
'Can I go next door?' I asked him.
'Sure.' He said, not really listening.

I walked back out and round to Shane's. I had to walk fast as the sun was out, and my clothes were no where near thick enough for me to out. I knocked on the door, and Shane opened it almost straight away.
'Oh, hey.' He said, and moved out of the way so I could get in.
'Sorry.' I said, after he closed the door.
'It's okay. Amelie told Claire, so I know.'

I walked through to the lounge.
'Elizabeth!' Claire said and hugged me. 'How's everything?'
I shrugged. 'It's okay I guess. Amelie's got me a job.' I said.
'Myrnin?' She asked.
I nodded. 'How'd you know?' I asked.
'I worked for him. I still sort of do, but just not as much now.' She said.
I couldn't look her in the eye.
'Okay.' She sighed. 'What's happened?' She asked, we sat down and Shane walked through and sat next to me.
'No-one can know.' I said quietly. 'But Mrynin, he... Likes me. And I think I like him back.'
'Oh.' Claire said. 'Have you told anyone?'
'No. I didn't want to. Amelie would kill us. You can't say anything.' I said.
'We won't.' Claire said, and Shane nodded. 'Why can't Amelie know anyway? I don't get it, what's she got over you?' Claire said.
Oh, so Claire didn't know the whole story. 'Amelie wants me to become Founder after her. You shouldn't know.'
Claire stared at me. 'You're joking, right?'
I shook my head.
'Claire, stop talking about it. It's upsetting her.' Shane said.
Claire sighed.

I stood up. 'I'll get going.' I said, and walked towards the door. 'It was nice talking to you.'
'Liz, I'm sorry.' Shane said.
'I know. Everyone always is.' I said, and opened the door, and walked out. The door slammed behind me. Shouting started up inside. I hung around the door. I knew it was wrong to listen, but it was about me.

'You don't get it, do you Claire?' Shane shouted. 'She only found out she had a family a few years ago, she has been through hell, and once you've reached a subject she doesn't want to talk about, you try to keep her talking!'
'Shane, I made some stupid decisions, but hers?'
'You don't know her.' Shane said in a quieter voice. 'She was a sister to me when she was past here. It's her choice.'
'I when I was almost 17, you didn't like it when I made my own choices. Even when I was 17 you didn't.'

I walked away from the door, tears in my eyes. Why did I have to start so many arguments?

The sun had finally gone down, but it was still quite warm. I decided to go to Common Grounds. I knew Oliver worked there, but I wanted to stay out, and I didn't really fancy a night in Vamptown.

The bar was empty, so I went straight up. Oliver was standing there.
'I'll just have a black coffee thanks.' I said, not looking at him. I began digging some change out of my pocket.
'Have it on the house. As an apology.' He said. 'Sit down and I'll bring it over.'

I walked over to an empty table, which wasn't hard to find; there was hardly anyone in tonight.

Oliver came walking across with my drink. He put it down on the table and sat opposite me.
'I was wrong with what I said.' He said to me. 'It's Amelie's choice.'
I took a sip of my coffee. It didn't taste quite right.
'I understand if you won't talk to me.' He said.
I was starting to feel dizzy.
'But you won't need to.' He said.
'Y-you drugged me.' I said.
'Well done, child. You're faster than I thought.' He said. He stood up. 'Don't worry, it won't take much longer.' He said.
I reached into my pocket and found my phone. I held it in my pocket, and I texted Amelie. I have no idea what it said, but I sent her a text, so she would know that I needed her.

Oliver reached over to me and grabbed my arm.
'Get off, Oliver.' I snarled.
'Now, there's no need for that.' He said.
I tried to keep my eyes open, but they were getting too heavy. I tried to fight the tiredness, but it got too much.