Chapter 6

My room was exactly as I had left it. Gross pink walls, with pink furniture to match. My bed neatly made - the only thing the way I hadn't left it - with new white bedding. My clothes draws were still open from me quickly packing my bag. But it still didn't feel like home.

I woke up with my phone ringing from a FaceTime call. Myrnin's name lit up the screen, with a picture of vampire bunny slippers. Wow. Amelie did have a sense of humour after all.

I answered the call, and waited for it to connect.

'Hey.' Myrnin said, smiling.

'Myrnin, it's 7am here, you woke me up.' I said.

'Wow, you really are getting the hang of these new sleeping patterns.' Myrnin said.

I turned on the light next to my bed. 'I wasn't, until you woke me up.' I said, suddenly realising that I looked a total mess.

'Ah, well, you're awake now.' He said, smiling.

It was then that I actually thought that he was FaceTiming me. 'Myrnin, since when did you have an iPhone?' I asked him.

'Oh, this phone? Amelie gave it to me so I can help you with your meds.'

I walked across my room and took out the bag Myrnin had handed me. I sat back down on my bed, with the camera of my phone facing me. I drew some liquid out into the syringe. Myrnin nodded.

'See, you're getting the hang of it.' He said.

'I didn't say I needed any help.' I put the syringe against my arm where Myrnin had shown me. 'This okay?' I asked him, and he nodded.

'Now put that in that small bucket thing I gave you.' He said.

'Wow.' I said, standing up to put the syringe in it. 'You really know all of your technical terms.'

Myrnin laughed. 'The doctor will collect that every week.' He said.

There was a knock on my bedroom door. 'Elizabeth, are you awake?' Sarah said, opening the door. If I was staying I really need to get a lock.

'What?' I said, closing the bag with my meds in.

'I could have done that for you.' She said.

She thought I had a blood disorder. That's what everyone close to me who has nothing to do with Morganville; I have a rare blood disorder.

I suddenly realised I was still on FaceTime with Myrnin.

'Who's that?' Sarah asked, noticing my phone.

I grabbed my phone and ended the call. 'No-one.' I said.

Sarah walked into my room, leaving the door wide open behind her. Mornings were too bright. 'It was a man.' She said, putting her hand out for my phone. I held onto it. 'Elizabeth.' She said. 'Give me the phone. You know how I feel about you talking to men. Who was he?'

I decided to make it awkward for her. 'His name's Myrnin, he's my doctor.' I said, and then she seemed okay with it. Sort of true. 'And my boyfriend.' I said, knowing that she wouldn't like it.

She stared at me. 'How old is he?' She asked, not impressed.

I actually didn't know the answer to that. I couldn't tell her that he's hundreds of years older than me, because one - it is impossible for a human to live that long, and two - she really wouldn't like the age difference. 'He's twenty.' I said, because that's what he looked more like.

'Three years older than you!' She said.

I stood up. 'Why does age matter?' I said, quite loudly actually. 'Age doesn't stop how I feel about him!'

'Elizabeth, do not argue with me!' She said, walking towards me.

'I'm going out.' I said, and grabbed some clothes, my hairbrush, and my toothbrush and walked past her and into the bathroom. I locked the door.

'Elizabeth!' Sarah said, hammering on the bathroom door. I put some music on my phone to drown out her yelling and got ready to go out.