Everlong

Washington, 1996

We, fight a lot. What the hell is wrong with her? It's like I don't know what else to do about her. I love her, I really do. But with this shit? I don't know how long. It's stressed me out. Plus William's performance not really satisfying me. All of this stuff drive me insane. I also reach a point where I can literally screaming at home. Like this morning, I spit my words, all of it. For the last time, I'm done.

But between all the chaos and else, I met this girl. Louise. She's...amazing. You know, when you find that not only attractive physically and mentally, but also when you sing with her, it's a perfect match. She's also a member of a band. So it's basically a match for me. I...I know this is so wrong because after all, Jennifer is still my wife. But I can't help but fall in love with Louise. Slow but sure, my heart turns to her. What can I say?

"Hey umm. I'm gonna take the rough mix to L.A okay?" It's a wrap of recording and I think it's the best thing to do. Take care of the mixing process while finishing my vocal and guitar part. "Alright. We'll be in touch." Me and Nate take apart when I go by myself to L.A. It's the best getaway. From Jennifer. And basically, I'm homeless too. I moved out from her home. I already filled in the divorce paper and all I need to do is just wait for the trial and it will be over.

L.A, 1997

I take a short trip and as soon as I get there, I unwrap all the tracks, and listen to them one by one. Damn, there's something that's not quite right. The drum part. I can imagine my beat version that would fit the song. William is a good drummer, but damn this is not working at all. I start to compare my own beat towards his. This is exactly how it sounds. What I expected.

"Hey Nate. I think I need to re-record the drum part."
"You think?"
"Yes. I mean I'm gonna stay longer here so I can do that."
"All of it?"
"Yeah. Just two songs that don't need any changes."
"Okay. Alright."

L.A, 2008

The ceremony is boring. Fucking boring. Typically. I can't wait to play, I hate sitting still here. All I need is banging my head back and forth at the stage.

I look at Jordyn and she smirks. She knows me so well that I want to get my ass outta here. Then I looked at Taylor and he smirks too. I swear Taylor is crazy to sitting there more than I am. I can see from the corner of my eyes, he's banging the table with a spoon softly. That guy really need a drum soon. He can't wait any longer.

Then I see Nate and Chris, they're pretty calm compared to me and Taylor. Chill guys. They get along easily. But if you know them, they can be crazy too. You have no idea.

Now Taylor start to poking me non-stop just to kill his boring time. Damn Taylor almost make me laugh in this silent time. I take a napkin and play messaging with him. Like a kid. We turned it over a couple times before Rihanna looks at us, confused, from across our table. This is embarrassing. But Taylor and I decided to continue the napkin chat, giggles as the result.

Not only Rihanna, but now Justin Timberlake also take a look at our napkin conversation, causing him to hold his laugh. I bet everyone think we're some kind of high school jokes.

L.A, 1997

Yesterday William call me, asking why I didn't call him for recording. Man, I don't know what to say. So I told him that I record them. But I said that it's only few tracks. So yeah, I lied. I'm in a bad position and I have no idea how to handle it.

And I constantly fight with Jennifer, I'm so frustrated by the situation. I feel like I'm in a cage all the time because of her. It makes me think about Louise and how I was happy when I was hanging out with her.

Luckily each part of the recording finally done. I fall in love with the result and can't wait to hear the final product. Just after stuff done, I quickly take a rest. For real, I need to stretch my back before I break it. Then I hear a phone call.

"This is Dave."
"What the fuck? You said it was 'a few'? Nate told me you did it all."
"Hey, Will, calm down. I'm sorry okay? I just need it to sounded a certain way. But you can still play it on tour and..."
"Shut the fuck up Dave. Fuck you. You think I'm willing to do that? After all of these? No. I quit!"
"Will? Hey. Will?" Damn he cut the call. I screw up. I really do. I didn't mean to betrayed him or something. It's pure all about my expectations of this recording. Nothing personal or things like I wanna discredit him in any way.

The chance to fix this turned into a disaster. And because William and Nate are originally came from the same band, there's a possibility Nate will follow William's decision to leave. Can this be any worse now? I'm so confused, it's like all my luck gone away somewhere. I'm bombarded with problems.

Seattle, 1997

I just broke up with Louise. It's my fault. I betrayed her. I went to Winona and I swear to God it doesn't worth it. I'm positive Louise hates me right now. You know, she feels like Everlong is a fraud. I told her that I wrote it about her and now she even hates the song. She hates me more than anything. I'm so stupid to even turned her down. What a shame.

Lucky enough for me, Nate stayed and everything is good with him. But still I need drummer to fill in the blank. I need some recommendations. So I know this guy, Taylor Hawkins who played for Alanis Morissette on tour. Maybe he can give me some names.

"Hey. Umm... It's Dave. We met before. You remember me?"
"Dave? Oh hey. Yes, sure I remember you. What's up?"
"You know, my band.. the drummer quit. And we go with no drummer now. Maybe you can suggest me some names?"
"Well. How about me?" I'm surprised that he will offer himself to me. "You sure? You're available?"
"Pretty much. What do you think?"
"Man! That would be awesome!" I swear it's not only me, because I can also hear his excited voice on the line. "Well. How about meet up this Friday?"
"Alright! But I have a date that day. Do you mind if my girlfriend hang out with us?"
"No, not a problem. See you on Friday." I hang up the phone and nearly punch a wall on my side. Damn, this guy is one of a kind. A nice guy too. I hope I don't screw this one. Not again.