Do You Even Remember?

Washington, 1997

No matter what happened, I have to get Taylor on band. If he changes his mind, I don't know what else to do. "Hey Taylor!" I wave to him. He sit in front of a coffee shop as he waves back. "Hey! Here!" He stands up and let me sit with them. "Ah, honey, this is the one who gave me the new job." This woman looks up from her cup and I swear I know that face. It's Aubrey, what the hell. "Hi." It's all she can say. Just hi. This is weird to see her again. I mean, I don't even remember about her up until this day. It's been 2 years since the last time we met. As much as I'm surprised, I'm pretty sure she is too. She's just good at hiding it.

"You guys know each other?" Taylor looks at us. And I quickly answer before any misunderstanding happen. "No. Absolutely not. Hi, I'm Dave."
"Hi. Aubrey Fraughn. Nice to meet you." That smile. It doesn't change a bit. She's still sweet and weird. "You know what Dave? As soon as I got your call, I jumped out from my chair. This is great."
"Really? So you officially in?"
"Fuck yeah Dave. Count me in."

We talk a lot about music and our plan for the band. Like I said, he's great and I know he's the right man. We got a lot of connection and some fun talk. But one thing that I noticed while I'm talking with Taylor. It's Aubrey. Damn, what the hell I'm thinking? She's his girlfriend and I shouldn't steal a glance at her this way. Why the fuck I kinda hope that she's not anyone's girlfriend? Especially Taylor.

I remember that she refused to leave her cabin but yet Taylor can bring her here. She might be really love him to even get out from the woods. "Hey Taylor. Since your girlfriend is here. Tell me how you two get along?" I can feel she takes a sharp stare at me as I ask that to him. "Her? Haha. You're not gonna believe me. I went to Mt. Si last month and got lost. I found her, taking pictures there."
"Then?"
"I thought she is a tourist. Turns out she owns a cabin not far from there. I swear the first time I saw her, I... I said to myself that I should get her. It's a shot in the dark and I confessed."
"That's it?"
"No. She laughed at me you know. But.. I.. never feel this way before. She's someone that you want to spent your life with. Like, a pure soul. And so I go there couple times, we talked. I sing some songs and I tried again. At the fifth time, she said she has a feeling too. So here we are, after I convinced her to moved here with me."

That's what I call effort. Goofy man like Taylor, I didn't expect that from him. He really feels something about her and I can't blame him. She's... I don't know. There's something about her that make sense now. I know I got something about her too, but before Taylor mentioned it, I didn't pay much attention to it. It's a shame I didn't notice it earlier. "Hey, umm. I need to go to bathroom for awhile. You two can talk and get to know about each other okay?" Taylor gets up from his chair and left just two of us.

"Taylor huh?" I try to break the ice. I think she's confused just like me. "Yes. He's... He's sweet." She's still timid, but she's much happier. I sigh. "So... What do you think?"
"About what?"
"Should we tell him about my leg incident?"
"No, please no. I don't wanna caused a problem. Trust me, you better keep that a secret."
"Alright. I'm sorry."
"That's okay." She smiles again. I can't count how many times she's doing that. "I.. I think I'll never see you again. Dave." She take a sigh and looks down. It's like she's holding something in mind.
"Why?"
"Nothing. Doesn't matter. I just have no idea Taylor will work with you." She looks away.

It goes silent and we lost inside our own mind. The moment I'm about to make another talk, I see her hand holding the table tightly and her face looked uncomfortable. "Hey. You're okay?"
"Umm, yeah. I'm..fine."
"Hey, if you need something please tell me. Or should I call Taylor?"
"No. It's not necessary. I'm just having a cramp. That all."

Her face says it all, she doesn't want Taylor to be worry. "What? Don't be so serious." She smile and take a glass of water. "I almost get a heart attack."
"I'm sorry. Umm.. by the way, you looked different."
"What?" She pointed out my hair. "Oh, this? Yes I cut it."
"Looks good on you."
"Really? That's..."
"Hey! What you two are talking about?" Suddenly Taylor comes back and I almost jump from my seat. Surprisingly Aubrey handles it very well. "We're joking around. Funny guy."
"I told you. Dave is a funny man. That's why I like him." He slap my shoulder and then take a seat again.

"Do you mind if I go with Dave? I'll back in an hour." Me and Taylor had a plan to go to studio so he can get along with Nate and Pat. "I'll stay here." She smiles to him and Taylor gives her a kiss. This is so weird, I should've been happy for them.

L.A, 2008

That day marked the first day Taylor joined my band. And...The picture of him and Aubrey kissing also still there. I can't forget that. There was one time when I hoped it was me.

I got another napkin chat from Taylor. He asked me if I got time tomorrow. He wants to hang out with me, just two of us. I wonder what's that about. So I ask him back and he just smile to me. He gives me the napkin again and I know where he wants to bring me.