Ain't It The Life

Virginia, 1998

I'm done with everything about L.A and bought a big house here. I still can visit my mom, even easier. I bought the house and carefully make a studio inside it. In the basement. Me, Taylor, and Nate will play here, record here, doing shit here, and many more.

And like usual, she came with Taylor. Now they're inseparable. Last night I saw her cooking a dinner for him, left me and Nate ordered some takeaway. Nate couldn't help it and told Taylor about how much lucks he got to even get woman like Aubrey.

"We need to start recording today." I insists, take as many chances as we got while we're not in a part of any label. Yes, we're pretty much 'label-less' right now. Makes us can write everything we want without a fukcing single order from anyone. "Agree! But I want to start with that generator thing. I heard you jam on it last night when you're down there alone. That song is sick dude! I like it." Taylor is so excited about what I did last night and I guess he heard it partly when I tried to finish it.

Yeah, I wrote it about your girl, Taylor, how about that?

I said that to myself, feel the irony from his statement. Because it is, written about his girl. I can't imagine Taylor liking the song if he knows that. I push some stuff when something fell down from my drum set. I pick it out and absolutely know what it is. "Who bring this in?" I raised my hand and no one's answer. About Nate, I trust his 'what the fuck' look in his face. But Taylor, so much 'damn it' kinda look. Since it was found also on a drum set, I think It's clear that it's Taylor's.

"Man, what you did with this?" I confronted him and he ran out of ideas real quick. "Dave, please turn down your volume."
"What? You're afraid she found out about this?" I'm so pissed to see this stuff again after years. After loses. I'm so sick staring at that devil bag. "Come on Dave! Don't tell her anything about this."
"You can die out of this shit Taylor. Can you understand? I'd been through these all and you know that." I shoved the bag to his hand and giving all the decisions. "Wanna throw it out, or she'll hear from me right fucking now." I can see him surrender. "I swear. I will getting better" He sigh, "But please don't let her know. It will break her heart in the worst way."

There's no way I would tell her, I know it will break her heart. I'm just threatening him, giving him a little push to getting better. "Okay. But I want to see you throw that shit to the closet. Do that now."
"Alright, alright." I follow him and watch him as he throw it all to the closet and I pull the flush while he watch it disappears. "Now let's go back to work. We have songs to record."

L.A, 2008

It feels great to finally finished our song. We did a great job up there. We rocked the Grammy's stage and people enjoy that.

Talking about rocking the stage, we rocked my basement back in the day. When we made There's Nothing Left to Lose. We were crazy with screaming and shit, but also we gave melodic experience to it. Song like Ain't It The Life is a piece that mirrored the situation that day. When we sick of this whole stardom things, and the way we enjoyed being in Virginia. That album is definitely my favorite this far. It had my personal touch. My emotion, fragility, came in one piece.

Virginia, 1998

"What's you gonna do with those bags?" I bumped into Aubrey as she enter the house with lot of shopping bags. "Cook? You guys ordered takeaways too much and I'm sure Nate is getting tired. He said you guys need proper foods. Especially Taylor. He's like skin and bones." I watched her as she go to kitchen and I decided to go after her and help her with those groceries.

I can see how much fruits and vegetables on the table. Then I remember about Taylor. "Hey about Taylor...."
"Yes?" I don't know if I have to say this or not. I feel guilty not to tell her, but Taylor begged me not to. "Hey? Dave? What do you wanna talk about him?"
"Umm. Nothing. I forget my words."
"Okay then. Hey can you help me with salad? Just chop them off and put the dresser. I'll do the turkey." What the hell am I thinking? I almost telling her about Taylor's problem. I'll hurt her if I did so. "Tell me when you're done with the salad. I need you to help me do the table."
"Got it."

I chop some vegetables and put them in a large bowl. It's great to see home made food again. Feels like my momma's house. "Hey don't eat that." She slap my backhand when I'm about to put a piece of carrot to my mouth. "Ouch! Why? Carrot's good."
"Sorry, but you can't be cheating. Wait for the time. Now put the dresser." I roll my eyes. "Okay mom." I said that sarcastically. She really has the sense of my mom. I search on the grocery bag but can't find the dresser. "Hey Aubrey, where's the jar?"
"Oh yeah, right. It's not on the bag Dave. I bought that yesterday and put it in your cabinet. Wait, I'll get you that."

When she's not looking, I quickly put the carrot inside my mouth before he slap my hand again. "Where is it?" She's digging her hand inside the cabinet and I just watch her from across the table. I laugh at her just to pissed her. "Don't be such a dick Dave. I know you're taller, you should help me."
"No I won't. Because you won't let me eat my carrot." I'm joking, I already ate one. That's just funny, I can't help it.

"Come on. I'm sure I put that here. Someone must moved it futher and now I can't reach that." I feel bad, but that's just funny. "How about let me eat my carrot and I'll help?"
"It will hurt my dignity."
"Oh really? Good luck with the jar then."

She almost get the jar but then I see her hand accidentally push pickles jar aside and it's just matter of time before it falls down and hit her head. "Hey, hey!" I run fast and quickly catch the jar before it really hit her head. "Holy! I need a dresser, not a blood coming from your head!" She looked scared, probably didn't expect that. "God. Thanks Dave. I...I didn't know my hand hit the pickles jar."
"Next time I will never let you grab something from my cabinet because I will get that for you."