One By One

Topanga, 2002

We already talked last night, we decided to continue the work. Picking up from the last point. Specifically with Taylor. We're getting closer again and he sounded happy on phone. I thought this will be a good time to do some tracks that already done but need new composition. "Taylor? I'm here." I knock at his door for five minutes and finally someone open up the door. "Hey umm. Dave. I didn't know Taylor is waiting for you."
"Oh, yeah. Maybe he forgot. He's here?"
"Actually he...was out to get something. Let's come in then." She let me in and leads me to the living room. "You wanna drink something? Coffee?"
"Coffee will be nice. Thanks." She leaves and I can hear sound of cup and pot, alongside with the smell of coffee from the kitchen. I take a look at their living room, looked tidy. I can tell she took care of this place very well. "Hey Aubrey." I shout out to her across the room. "Yes Dave?"
"How's baby?"
"There's no problem this far."
"That's good. Keep seeing doctor, okay? Tell Taylor if you need to go." She comes back with cup on her hand. She put that in front of me and I take a sip. "Sure Dave. I remember that." She smiles. "Thanks for your concern."

"Hey Dave!" Taylor entering the living room with groceries and else. "I'm sorry you had to wait for me. I went to buy supplies for us. I don't want her to do shopping."
"That's fine." I take another sip. "You should do that. She needs more rest until the delivery."
"I know. By the way, about what we talked about on phone..."
"Oh yeah, sure. Let's reconstruct them."
"Right. Aubrey, me and Dave will be in basement. You go to bedroom and sleep, okay?" He help her to walk upstairs and then going back down with me to the basement.

"That's what I'm talking about!" There's Taylor's voice shouting from basement that can be heard to her room. Because right after that, she actually comes down and enter the basement with unpleasant face. "Can you please let my baby sleep?" There Taylor mouthed a sorry to her and then get up from his seat. "Did I that loud?"
"Actually, yes.. but that's fine as long as you two keep the door closed." She smirks to him and kisses his cheek. "Okay, you can go back, I'll shut the door."

Virginia, 2002

Considering Aubrey is at Taylor's place all the time, we decided to continue at my place. "She's fine that you are here?" I ask Taylor as he's walking through my corridor straight to my basement. "Yeah. She told me not to bother her because she needs much sleep."
"Alright then. Where were we?"
"Right. I need to finish this track then you'll do your part. When will Nate and Chris will do theirs?"
"Oh well, I already told them. They'll be available at the end of this week. But they'll do that in LA. But at that time I'll be with Josh again."
"Okay then." He get his sticks again and start counting numbers, simulating the rhythm before actually record that.

We do like 2 songs straight and when we're about to do the third, I get a phone call. "Wait. I get this." I go upstairs and then picking up the phone. "Dave's here."
"Oh hey. It's Jordyn. Actually..."
"Hey there. Umm... How's everything? I mean..."
"Good. Pretty good. About what you asked me yesterday..."
"Yeah? You already think about that?"
"I have, actually. But can we have umm...a dinner or something next week. I think we need to talk about it, further. If you know what I mean."
"Sure! I'll surely go. Text me the details?"
"I will. See you next week Dave."
"Yeah..see you too." I put my phone back with a long breath along with it. I don't know what she's going to say later and it makes me very nervous. I don't wanna screw things like the last time. After sure my heart beat going normal again, I go downstairs to continue the recording.

Then I find Taylor is on his cellphone, like listening very carefully. His face is in a concern. "Please don't say that." He looks down, seems not liking what he heard. "That's not gonna happen. Okay? Nothing's gonna happen." Now his voice turns into a frustrated one. "We... we'll talk later. And I don't wanna hear you saying it again. Okay?" I wait for him for some seconds before he finally hang up and put his phone back to his pocket.

"Everything is okay?" I changed my mind to tell him my story about Jordyn, he seems like having a problem. "Yes. I mean... No not really. It's Aubrey."
"What happened?"
"She says she almost passed out and tripped from stairs. I told her to move downstairs for awhile."
"And then?"
"I don't know. She's start to freaking out. Like, telling me if anything ever happened, she wants me to save the kid, not her. I don't wanna hear that, you know. I mean, I know she's overreacting, but her request is hurting me." He takes a deep breath and then shake his head. "Sorry, I should've been focused. Let's... let's just continue."
"Okay...you can start when you're ready."

L.A, 2008

So we go to this massive arena for another show of our tour this year. I got a special request from Taylor to play Stranger Things Have Happened and he will play Cold Day In The Sun as the return. I think it's ridiculous because he really wants to sing these specific tracks as a tribute to Aubrey. She's not even watching but it's just feel wonderful to do that one time.

"You guys sure to do this?" Nate comes to us while both me and Taylor discuss things. "Sure. Me and Dave will actually doing it."
"Well, good then. Because just so you know, when we heard about your idea yesterday, we invite her." He says, proudly.

"You're kidding? Who? Aubrey?" I ask in disbelief. "Yes. Her. Just wishing she will actually come. I bet you two will happy to see her in the front seat."
"Of course. That would be great! I mean... We never played those songs directly to her so we're kinda wanna know how the look on her face when we sing it to her face."

"Guys. Times to out." A crew guy just break in and look to us sharply because we spent too much time at backstage. "Yeah. We'll coming out." Taylor say to him, walking out with me and Nate behind.

"You see her?" I ask Taylor before he sit on his chair. "I don't know... I can't see her from here...." Chris quickly running to us and cut our conversation. "Holy mother, she's here!"
"Where?" We ask Chris with inpatient face. "There! Follow my finger." I do what he said and look carefully, there she is, smiling to us. Wearing a pajama and hat. What a fashion statement. "Oh shit! That's for real." I shout to Taylor and he laughs. "Yeah, I see that now. In a freaking pajama and hat. This might be our best show ever!"