Mom's Wisdom

Virginia, 1998

Things getting awkward after the pickles incident. Maybe because she's still shocked or something. I feel bad about screaming at her. "Hey, umm. About what I said earlier. Don't mind me, okay? I didn't mean to scream at you. It's spontaneous."
"I know. But that's fine. I was so clumsy, I nearly hit my head."
"No, no. I didn't help you. So it was partially my fault. I'm sorry."
"No, Dave. Thanks. For your help." Then she smile to me again, continue to cook the food.

"Anyway. I really like the vibe here. Just like home, right?" She ask me, trying to make a new talk. "Indeed. My mom's house isn't far from here, actually."
"Really? That's good. Why don't you just invite her over? For a dinner."
"I don't know. Do you mind about it?"
"Hey. That's your mom. Nate and Taylor already knew her long enough."
"No, not them. I mean you."
"What's the problem?" Yeah right. Shouldn't be a problem. I almost forget that she's Taylor's not mine. I shouldn't be nervous about bringing my mom to meet her. "Alright. I'll call her. You sure the food enough for everyone?"
"Of course. I bought a lot, remember?"

L.A, 2008

I called my mom, just a usual phone call. I told her about our Grammys, told her how much I love her. There's no way I can stand like this, right now, if my mom never let me dropped out from school to start playing music. She's the best mom ever.

From her voice, I know she's very happy to hear that from me, she's a proud mom. But then she mentioned about the box. That box. The box that I gave my mom, right after that night. It includes my love letter, Aubrey's book, and a copy of my first album. I gave it to mom because I don't want to throw it away but yet I can't see it anymore. The day Aubrey told me to go back to Jordyn, I almost throw it all away.

Mom ask me about the box, because she heard from Taylor that me and him will go to the cabin together. She wants me to pick this box tonight so I can give it to Aubrey tomorrow.

Virginia, 1998

I'm in the middle of helping her when Taylor and Nate finally go out from their room like they just smeled something tasty. Like turkey. "Oh my. You cooked this all?" Nate raises his eyebrows. Taylor too. "This is insane. Finally a fine dinner."
"Yeah, because I told her I'm sick to see you ordered takeaway every night." Nate smirks to Taylor. "Yes. You're skinny boy." She adds.

Both Nate and Taylor take a seat while I put plates on table. "Hey, if I know you will cook this many food, I will absolutely help you." Taylor says. "And Nate also will."
"Forget it okay? Now you guys need to eat. I didn't call you two to help me because I saw Nate is sleeping, so I assumed you too. But thanks to Dave, he helped a lot."
"Thank you Dave." Nate says it out loud.

Right before we eat, we hear bell rings. I know who's it. "Do we have a guest?" Nate ask, and so does Taylor. "Yeah, please tell me it's your new girlfriend."
"Oh, shut up Taylor. That's my mom."
"Mrs. Grohl? Woahhh. That's good you invited her here."
"I know. Now wait here, I'll get her in."

"Mom!" I hug her as soon as I see her at the door step. "David." She hug me back and then we parted. "Come in." I lead her to dining room and introduce her to Aubrey. "Mom, this is Aubrey. She's the one that got an idea to invite you for a dinner."
"Oh hey dear." She hug Aubrey. I know, my mom is very lovely. "Thank you for the dinner. You cooked these all?"
"Not all Mrs. Grohl. Dave helped me."
"Ah, David must be playing around at kitchen." It makes Aubrey and the boys laugh. Yeah, my mom has a good taste of jokes. "Oh, please enjoy the dinner Mrs. Grohl."
"Just call me Virginia."
"Oh. Okay." She smiles. "Lovely, like this place."
"I know. That's why I live here." Mom giggles while Aubrey put foods on our plates.

"Hey David." My mom whisper to me. "Yes?"
"She's nice. I like her."
"Mom.. please."
"What? You don't like her?"
"No mom, it's not...." I almost choked on my food when Aubrey go to me and mom to put another food. "You want more?" She ask us. "No dear, me and David have enough. You need to sit too and eat. Okay?"

After we finished the dinner, Nate and Taylor decide to go back to their room. "Good night Mrs. Grohl." Taylor and Nate hug my mom and then leave the dining room. Now, it's just me, Aubrey and mom. Aubrey go to clean the dishes and everything. "Aubrey, darling?"
"Yes Mrs. Grohl? Umm, I mean Virginia?"
"Hahaha. Call me with whatever suits then."
"Okay." She smiles and continue to clean the dishes. "So, Aubrey. You live here?"
"No. Originally I live at Mt. Si."
"With your parents?"
"Umm, no Mrs. Grohl. I live alone. But then I moved with Taylor." And that's it, my mom looks at me like she understands what I mean at the dinner. She looks to me with a sorry face.

"So she's Taylor's?" Mom whisper to me. "Yes. She is."
"Ah. Too bad. But you like her, don't you?"
"Mom..I don't know." I keep denying and my mom just simply doesn't buy it. "I know you do. You steal a glance of her a couple times on dinner."
"Mom...."

"What's wrong?" Aubrey comes back from doing dishes and I almost jumps, again. "No, nothing." I tell her. My mom also assure her. "Nothing's wrong sweetie. I told David that I need to back home."
"Oh, really? Ah maybe you should drive her home, Dave."
"No, no. He can stay here and help you to clean things up. I'll take a cab."
"You sure mom? I can take you home."
"No David. Help her. I'm good."
"Okay mom. I'll take you to front door then."
"Right. Thanks for the dinner Aubrey." She goes to her and kisses her cheeks. Aubrey is kinda surprised but smiles after that. "Thanks for coming too, Mrs. Grohl."

I take mom to the door and kiss her goodnight. "Hey David."
"Yes mom?" She sighs. "I really hope she's yours." Then she jumps into a cab and leave.