18

not going to lie- updating is going to go weird for the next few months, especially once my GCSE's get here. however, we do get a looooong study leave, so I'll have all the time to update and make actual progress with this story xoxo. 

The next time Olivia saw Tom, it was during exam season.

Somehow, Olivia did not realise until then that she came prior to Tom in the register overall, and so when they lined up for exams, she was stood in front of him, at the front of their line ('F'- there were not many kids in their year). 

During the exam season, it was during the exams Olivia only ever saw Tom- even the pair of them had retreated to their own common rooms to study. And of course, they could barely even talk, as during the line up, you couldn't. Although, that didn't really stop him. 
"You'd think they would have learnt by now," he muttered behind her as Dumbledore (examinations officer) yelled at students. And even though Olivia couldn't turn around, a smile peeked through anyway, before she continued reciting stuff mentally for whatever exam was that day. 

Written exams were always done first, and Olivia could always be found with Eve and Gabriella testing them on their knowledge. Then came the practicals- the bit Olivia struggled with the most (even though she didn't really struggle with it; she just found it harder). Olivia usually ended up being in the exam hall at the same time as Tom, and as much as she liked him, it was kind of hard to concentrate with him doing it all perfectly next to her. On the other hand, Olivia knew she was doing perfectly fine, and avoided mentioning it in front of Eve and Gabriella, who struggled a lot more than she did. 

But before she knew it, exams were over, and then it was the dreaded wait for the results. Olivia also could not shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen, but she shoved it deep down. No point wallowing about something she was unsure of. 
"I don't know," Eve told her. They were in bed, and Olivia had just spoken of her suspicions. "Maybe it's to do with Tom." Olivia frowned. 
"You think?" She peered over at Gabriella, who had her eyes closed. 
"Well, Dumbledore asked you to, y'know, do the thing. And he knows the secret now..." Gabriella trailed off. 
"I agree. He's getting more suspicious," Eve added. "I mean, he's always staring at you-"
"That's not that creepy. John's always staring at me," Gabriella pointed out. 
"Damn girl, who's side are you on?"Eve shrieked. 
"There are no sides! Let's face it, as handsome and lovely Tom is, there is something... dubious about him." 
"Something does smell squishy," Olivia admitted. 
"Fishy," Eve corrected. Then, she and Gabriella shared a look. 
"Qué?" Olivia questioned. 
"Maybe it's time... you broke it off with him?" Gabriella said. 
"And Dumbledore," Eve added. Olivia shook her head. 
"No. You don't understand. Dumbledore told me Tom was going to become a threat. Dangerous," she repeated. 
"Liv," Eve started, but Olivia shook her head again. 
"No. I have to do this. I already went through one uprising. I don't want another one." With that, Olivia got up, slid a cloak over her nightgown and put on some shoes. Then, she left. 

Olivia sat near the water, but not in it exactly. She was leaning back on her elbows, staring up at the clear night sky. She could hear footsteps approaching, but she was a little too tired to pull out her wand. Olivia was not surprised to see it was Tom. 
"Hola," she greeted, pushing herself up. 
"You're not cold?" he asked. Olivia smiled, but it was only for a split second. "What's the matter?" Olivia shook her head. 
"It was just a fight with Eve and Gabbie. Nothing big," she told him. 
"It was concerning me, wasn't it?" 
"Tom..." 
"I understand, actually. Maybe I'm not the right person for you right now," Tom told her. 
"What are you on about?" Olivia asked. She was a little tired of being told what to do. "Tom, you're fine." 
"I know your secret, Olivia," he reminded her. Olivia really liked the way he said her name. "You know that means you're compromised." 
"But you wouldn't hold it against me, right?" she asked, frowning. What was going on? 
"Remember the first thing you ever told me?" 
"'You don't look too bad yourself?'" Olivia remembered. Tom snorted. 
"No. Everybody needs someone to rely on," he reminded her. Olivia went completely silent. "I know what you are. And you don't want it to get out, do you?" 
"Are you threatening me?" Olivia inquired harshly, now reaching for her wand covertly. Tom leaned to whisper in her ear. 
"I think it's better you stay away from me, now," Tom advised her. Olivia turned to look at him, but before she could reply, Tom pressed a kiss to her lips before standing and leaving.