13

Lakehouse - Of Monsters and Men 

HARRY

Her eyes light up as she laughs. 

I sat back and watched as Isabella's head fell back, her small nose scrunching up, her eyes glistening, and her mouth pulled into a wide smile.  Her laugh carries out into the sky. The universe being reminded of what heaven sounds like. 

I don't even know what the fuck she is laughing at anymore. The joke completely lost in the aftermath of her joyous laughter. We sit on the bench of a neighboring park, our knees grazing together ever so often, sending a shock of electricity through me. A feeling that I'm trying to ignore. A feeling that I don't want to feel, that was for damn sure. 

"God," She sighs. A few chuckles slip out of her plump red lips. "I haven't laughed that hard in a while." Her eyes meet mine. The deep brown of her iris's bright. "Thank you for that." 

"It wasn't even that funny," I quickly protest. 

"You're funnier than you let on." 

"Don't tell anyone that. I don't want to ruin my bad boy image." I joke. 

"My lips are sealed." She pretends to zip up her lips and then proceeds to throw away the key. 

"Good girl," I smirk. 

We continue to sit on this bench in the blistering warm sun. When the hell did London get so hot.

I sneak a look at her from the corner of my eye. She is staring off into space. A ghost of a smile still plastered on her lips. I watch as she watches the children run around the park. Her back is leaning against the hard bench. She brings her knees up to her chest, clutching them to herself. She looks comfortable. I suddenly find myself wanting to be closer to her.

Without thinking, I move over so that our shoulders are now touching. She doesn't move. I don't know if she even noticed. Her eyes are still trained on the scene in front of us. I can't seem to tear my eyes from her. 

When did you become a fucking pussy, my stupid subconscious voice mocks. 

"Why did you get drunk last night?" She asks me. Her eyes not once leaving the the scene in front of her. 

I can feel my body quickly tense up. Embarrassment begins to rise up within me. Do I lie? Or do I tell her the truth? A battle begins to ensue inside of me. Unsure of what to do. 

"I got fired." I choose the latter. 

Her eyes widen instantaneously. She shifts her body so that her eyes are now facing my own. They are wide with shock. "Why?" She asks. Her voice not masking the surprise. 

"My boss is a fucking dick." 

"What happened?" 

"I got caught fucking in the back room." I don't know why I'm telling her this. As if automatically, Isabella's face falls. 

She keeps her eyes on me. Her mouth opening and then closing quickly. "That was stupid. But that's kind of a dumb reason to fire you on the spot. He should have given you at least a warning." 

"It wasn't the first time I've had sex with someone in the back room, Izzy." I shoot her a cocky smirk.

"Still. That seems a bit harsh." 

"It was his sister." 

"Then you probably deserve that punishment." She smiles slightly, but the corners of her smile doesn't reach her eyes. "What are you going to do about a job now?"