53

ISABELLA 

"You're beautiful, you know that?" The deep drawl of his voice accentuates his accent, the words being spoken eloquently and slowly. His vibrant greens looking at me dotingly. I try my best to stop lips from breaking out into it's giddy smile. There was no use in trying. 

"You may have said that once or twice," I smile. 

Harry looks down. His pink lips quirking upright into a bashful smile. "Pretty girls should know that they're pretty," he responds back. His hand gripping mine from across the table. I watch as his thumb traces over my hand. The skin on skin contact, simple as it is, burning after it's touch. 

The diner was busy as usual. The hustle of the lunch crowd hurrying about around us. Everyone getting their daily dose of a burger and fries. Yet even in the craziness that surrounded us, Harry and I managed to stay in our little bubble of alive flirtation. His eyes fixated on my every move. My every breath. Our ice teas and chicken sandwiches long forgotten.  

"How was your night last night?" He asks. Our competition of intense eye contact breaking. 

He let's go of my hand for a moment so that he can take another bite from his now cold french fry. "Alright," I take a bite of my sandwich. Harry chuckles, taking his napkin and wiping away a glob of mayonnaise that escaped down my chin. "Thanks," I blush. 

"Just alright?" 

"Saying goodbye is always the hardest part. We had a great time last night before that. Showed her around London and had a great "sister bonding" time. But leaving her at the airport sucked. A lot." 

Harry nods. His mouth preoccupied by the sandwich he's biting into. "Mmm, I'm sure it was... but you'll see her soon, yeah? Christmas isn't that far off." 

"Only six months," I chuckle. 

"It'll go by soon enough, I'm sure." Harry shrugs. Even though I knew he was right, it still felt like ages away. 

"Well," I sigh, "I'll just have to Skype her is all." I give him a the best smile I could muster and continue to eat my lunch. 

The rest of lunch goes by. Our silences filled with meaningless talk and endless amount of giggles and shameless flirting. After Harry paid the bill, he walked over to the door where I stood. His fingers interlocked with mine, pulling me out and into the cool summer air. "Where to next?" I ask. I run my fingers through his long hair. He had let it down- free of any scarves or beanies. Was it weird that I was jealous of my boyfriends hair? 

Harry had insisted on spending the day with me. Claiming it as his birthday treat. Since my actual birthday was full of partying and the rest of the week with my sister, Harry and I hadn't really spent time with one another for a what felt like ages. At least, time longer than one or two hours alone. 

"There's a place I wanted to show you. It's about an hour drive, if that's okay?"

"Of course," I agree. My curiosity peaking. "Are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"Not a chance." 

"Please?" I plead, my eyes giving the best rendition of the puppy dog look. 

He chuckles, "No babe. Sorry. It's a surprise." 

"Come on," I whine. Pulling on his arm gently, "Give me a hint?" I try one more time. 

"Nope!" He laughs along with me. His arm wrapping around my body, pulling me closer to his side. "Not a chance."

"You suck," I joke. 

"Actually, doll - that'd be you." He winks. 

I gasp at his crude remark. Hitting him lightly on the arm. "You can be such a perv, you know that?" This only fuels his laughter. I don't say anything more. Too caught up in the joyful sound that escapes his lips.