71

Northern Wind - City and Colour

"Oh my love, you don't know what you do to me."

ISABELLA

Patience was never my strength. I always struggled with the waiting game. Easily growing frustrated as time ticked on. My non-diagnosed ADD kicking in every time. I was, however, a master of faking patience. It was easy to hide my jittery hands and tapping foot. To the world around me, I was patient and calm. But in reality, I was farthest thing from it.

Today was no exception. Waiting for Harry's flight to come in seemed like the most daunting task. Natalia was oblivious to my impatience. She was too busy talking to her new boyfriend Cory. He was a nice guy. A bit quiet and kept to himself. He reminded me of Harry in some ways. His dirty blonde hair pushed back into a quiff. Black fabric covering every inch of his skin. It was evident that he was mad about my sister. His honey brown eyes expressing his doting affection for her.

Time ticked by. Each passing second seemed to be agonizingly slow. I sit back in the uncomfortable airport chair in International arrivals, watching loved ones being reunited. The JFK airport busier than usual because of the holiday season.

My eyes remained trained on the flashing board above me. Waiting for arrived to pop up beside London, England, UK.

"We're going to get some coffee, do you want anything?" Nat asks. She smiles at me warmly, her fingers interlocked with Cory's.

I smile at their hands before nodding my head slowly. "That'd be great, please."

"I heard they have peppermint lattes. Your favourite." She informs me. Her eyes widened in excitement.

"That sounds great." I agree, laughing along lightly.

"Great. We'll be back." She says once more before heading towards the closest coffee stand. Once they are out of sight, I lean back in my chair. My feet tapping in impatience while my hands fiddle in my lap. I was anxious to say the least.

Twenty minutes later, a crowd of people began to formulate in front of me. Excitement began to brew in the pit of my stomach. Completely and utterly ready for what was about to come. I stand to my feet, hands preoccupied with the warm paper cup in my hand. I bite my lip in excitement. Standing on the tip of my toes, I try to look above the heads of equally excited people.

Admist the chaos, I spot the familiar head of unruly curly hair. An involuntary squeal escapes my lips. In one quick moment, I hand over my half-empty cup of coffee to Nat, and rush towards the crowd.

"Excuse me. Pardon me. Move." I push my way through the people, hoping to get to him faster. "Harry!" I call out, hoping he'd hear me.

There's a break in the crowd of people. Pushing my way through, I manage to get there. A foot away stands Harry. His hair now covered by a blue beanie. His body covered in a black hoodie and his favourite jeans.

Without warning, I move quickly towards him. Jumping into his arms. He grunts lowly, dropping his bag to the ground. His arms wrapping around me, pulling me up and into his embrace. I nuzzle my head into his neck, my legs wrapped around his body.

"Baby." He breathes into my hair. I only hold onto him tighter.

Eye contact doesn't waver as my hand comes to his jaw. My thumb tracing the scruff edges with a feather light touch. I lace my arms around his neck, neither one of our stares faltering. Harry's protective grip on my thighs move north to my waist, pulling me closer. Our foreheads touch, sending a shiver down my spine.

It seemed silly. We were only away from one another for less than a week, but it seemed like much longer. Distance was a horrible thing. I hated it with everything that was inside me. I had too much respect for couples who are able to maintain healthy long distance relationships. I don't think I am strong enough to do that. Not at all.