To Break In A Glove

After dinner Larry asked, "do you guys want to play a game of catch?" "No, not really.", said Connor. "Why not, your dad just wants to spend some time with you.", said Evan. "Evan is right, Connor. Why don't you go spend some time with your dad. It's a beautiful day outside and when was the last time you guys actually hung out?", said Cynthia. "I don't remember, I don't think we have every really hung out.", replied Connor. "Come on Connor let's just do it.", said Evan trying to convince him. "uhh..okay, fine.", said Connor. 

The boys headed outside for a game of catch. Larry brought a new glove and his favorite baseball. Larry tossed the ball around and Evan tried to catch it. "I got it." , said Evan. But Evan missed. Connor smirked and Evan laughed too. "It's so stiff, it's hard to catch anything with this.", said Evan. "Yeah, you can't really catch anything with it that stiff, you'll have to break it in first.", said Larry. "How do you do that.", asked Evan. "Shaving cream.", spoke Larry. "Shaving cream?", Evan questioned. "Oh yeah. You rub that in for about five minutes, tie it all up with rubber bands, put it under your mattress, and sleep on it. And you do that for at least a week, every day, consistent", said Larry."

 Larry brought the boys some shaving cream and rubber bands and they rubbed it in just like he said. "It just takes a little patience, a little time, and a little perseverance. But you can't take any shortcuts, you gotta stick it out. With something like this, you gotta be ready to put in the work, make the commitment. So what do you think?", said Larry. "I mean, definitely.", said Evan. "Why don't you keep it?", said Connor. "Oh no, I couldn't. Evan really enjoyed the bonding he spent with Connor and his dad and wanted to remember it, but he felt bad taking it all away from Connor. "Why not?", said Connor. Connor knew how much Evan wanted a dad, Evan's dad never taught him much. "Are you sure?", asked Evan. "I'm sure, I want you to have it.", said Connor. "You're really lucky to have a dad like this, thanks.", said Evan. 

Evan knew he'd remember this experience forever. He loved his mom, but he never had a father figure. 

"Shaving cream, rubber bands, mattress, repeat, got it?", asked Larry. "Got it", said Evan. "You're good to go." , said Larry back.