Ch. 21: A Promising Present (Part 1)

20 Days Later

"Are you nervous?", Normani asked from across the quaint tan table.

Dinah was too busy stuffing a big forkful of pancakes into her mouth to fully comprehend what her "girlfriend" was saying. 

"Hmmmm?", Dinah hummed in response mouth still filled with buttermilk pancakes. 

"Are you nervous for our performance tomorrow?", Normani repeated, then took a sip of her small orange juice.

"Is that even a question? Of course I'm nervous, I'm performing with you."

"And....", Normani trailed off not understanding Dinah's point.

"Mani, I don't know if you know this, but you're one of the best performers in the industry as we speak. Your choreo is always on point, your vocals always snatch everyone bald, and your lighting and sound are always flawless. All your performances are damn near perfect."

Normani broadly smiled, tilting her head to the side. "I do know. I just wanted to hear you say it if I'm being quite honest."

Dinah chuckled, "I'm sure a bunch of people have told you how amazing you perform. Why does it matter if I say it or not?"

"Because you're my girlfriend the fuck?"

"Fake girlfriend", Dinah corrected. A smirk slowly crept it's way onto Dinah's face as she leaned back against her seat. "But if you want to make things official, or fuck, whatever floats your boat, then just give me the heads up so I can plan for it."

Normani obnoxiously made gagging noises then whined like a little school boy would when asked if he liked a girl, "Ewww, why would I date you? You have cooties!"

"No I don't! The only cootie cat I have is yours, fuck the rest!"

"Dinah what the hell is wrong with you?! Number 1, my cootie car belongs to no one, she is free to do whatever she pleases. And number 2, it was a joke you idiot, stop being perverted", Normani giggled then threw a red crayon at Dinah's forehead.

Technically, there wasn't supposed to be any crayons at their table because they were both well over the age to get a kids menu, but Dinah insisted on getting one. Not to order from of course, because that would be ridiculous. Instead, Dinah played Normani in several very competitive games of tic-tac-toe, in which Dinah beat Normani only by one game. Normani could've won that last game, but she let Dinah win just to see the excitement written all over the blonde's face. Not to mention she wanted to witness the blonde's gorgeous smile that she tended to cover up from time to time. Call Normani cheesy, but Dinah's smile was absolutely adorable and should be visible for the world to see instead of covered up by her hand.

"I on the other hand was not joking Miss Kordei", Dinah teased, smile toying at her lips.  "I've seen the way you've been looking at me lately, you know damn well you want me."

The large seating area fell completely silent for a moment, with Dinah mischievously smirking at the brown skinned beauty across from her. Meanwhile, Normani used her straw to stir the orange juice that was in front of her, making the ice she had previously asked for clank against the glass.

"I have no idea what your talking about Miss Jane", Normani grinned, "I look at you just like I look at everyone else."

"Lie again."