J A E H Y U N

You paced around your room, prancing out of giddiness, as you waited for a call from your best friend, Jaehyun. You wanted to share about the exciting day you had but he was a little busy with practice at the time, so he said he would video chat with you after, when he had the time. After what seemed like forever, you heard your phone go off with it's familiar jingle. You clicked "accept" and soon his bright, glistening face, mainly due to the sweat from practice, appeared on your screen.

"Jaehyun!!" You squealed, almost busting his phone speaker as he jolted away from the sudden surprise greeting.

"Jaehyun!" He mimicked your squeal but it seemed more pitchy, hard for him to reach the same note as you reached. You laughed at his shenanigans. "What's up?" he asked, leaning back into his chair, adjusting the camera so you could see him better.

"Nothing... except I just had the best day ever!" You sat down "coolly" in your room, trying to act nonchalant.

"Well, you have to spill the beans. You can't just spam me with texts and video chat requests only to tell me that you had the best day ever! You have to elaborate.

"Okay!" you burst out, interrupting the end of Jaehyun's sentence, jumping right back up, unable to sit still. "So, I woke up this morning, actually on timefor once, and got to my classes on time. I finished my essay the week before so I wasn't trying to scramble and get all my stuff done, like usually.. I just calmly got to school and waited for class the start. My professor came in and told us that we didn't have to take the test he said he were going to. Then, the rest of the class was super easy and we barely did anything. And if we did do something, I actually understood it!"

As you rambled on about your day, Jaehyun just smiled, unknowingly, as he took in..most..of your words and noticed all of your little ticks, admiring all of your jumps and gestures when you get excited. He thought it was adorable."But then! This us the best part! There's a new guy in our class!" Once he heard this, Jaehyun's innocent, sincere smile turned into a less genuine, more awkward and disappointed smile appear, trying to hide his feelings. "And he sat down next to me, in the open seat, we talked for the remainder of the class. And BOOM!! Instant friends! Like, we really hit it off, right of the bat!" "Oh....that's so cool...I'm...happy for you, Y/N," said Jaehyun.

"You don't even understand!! He is so funny, like I was laughing the whole time we talked. And his smile is so contagious! We have so many things in common and he's smart, nice, and very good-looking. Man, he's just so-"As you continued, you didn't seem to notice the giant, green wave that crashed onto him. Jealousy began to pulse in his veins and he wished he could do something about it but he couldn't.

You two were best friends so he shouldn't have a reason to be jealous if you talked to other guys, but it hurt. From the moment he met you, you always saw you as more than a friend, or at least he wanted it to be that way. He always got quiet or weird whenever you brought up some guy you met or went on a date with. He just felt hurt all the time since he knew he couldn't do anything without jeopardizing your entire friendship, and he didn't want that to happen. Sure, he couldn't have you, but he didn't want to lose you completely either. But for some reason, today, he was at his breaking point, letting his green wave crash onto your shore.

"OK! I GET IT! You found another great guy and you're super happy you were able to meet someone as "great as him" but you do this every time. You always bring up someone new you met or got close to and how am I supposed to feel about that? How am I supposed to listen to all of your happy stories when I can't be that guy. I could never be that guy!"You were taken aback at his sudden outburst. This was never like him and you didn't know how to react. Your smile immediately wiped off your face, leaving a confused look of hurt.

"Jaehyun, what are you talking about? You know you're my best friend and I would never forget about you. I just-""I kn- I just- Can't- do this anymore.""What are you talking about?" you asked quietly, trying to blink back your tears."I can't listen to your stories anymore! I get so....so..""Jealous?" Jaehyun's anger disappeared while he tried to hide his embarrassment and sudden realization of what he just caused. "Are you...jealous?""No. I just-" he stumbled over his words, trying to cover his revealing mistake."- don't like it when I like other guys...because you're jealous." You finished his sentence.

You both stood that in silence, both of your phones silently shaking, moving with each and every breath you took, before Jaehyun continued."Why should I be jealous? I don't give a shit! I don't want to be with you like that. I would never! I don't care! I wouldn't even care if you just walked out of my life and left me for all the wonderful guys you met!" His defensive nature and anger got the best of him and he blurted out the stinging words that he never meant.

Those words dripped into your ears, filling your cup to his full potential, and it finally spilled over, tears streaming down your cheek. "If you don't really care about me...than why are we friends? Why do I still talk to you?" The same silence came back as tears now began to show in his eyes. "You know what, Jaehyun? Never call me again...I don't want to talk to you, ever again." You clicked "end call" as your picture disappeared from his screen, leaving it black and empty.

His hands flew up to his head, dragging his fingers through his messy hair. Regret was the only thing he felt as he sat there, bathing in silence. He knew he never should have said those words but they just flew out of his mouth, that he could not close. He sat for a few minutes pondering what to do, but he knew he had to act quickly. He never wanted to hurt you or push you further away and he couldn't just let you sit alone at home and cry. So he called you back. Declined. Again. Declined. Then he shot you a text.

Jaehyun: Y/N you need to answer your phone.
Jaehyun : Please.
Again. Declined.
Jaehyun: Y/N I'm begging you let me explain!!
Then, you finally answered. You're eyes were still puffy and red from the recent crying, as were his.

"What do you-" you began coldly because Jaehyun poured out his feelings, begging for your forgiveness.

"Y/N I am so sorry. I did not mean anything I just said I care about you. I care about you so frickin' much and I was just scared to lose you. I didn't want to be forgotten because I'll lose so much more. I'll lose your smile, your laugh, your jokes, your friendship...I'll lose you and I don't want that. Please, you have to believe the words I'm saying right now. I never meant to hurt you. That fear and jealousy got to me and pushed me to my edge, breaking me down, and I just exploded at you as a natural reflex to defend myself. You are so important to me and I don't know what I'd do without you in my life. You said it yourself. I'm your best friend and you're mine. And I don't want that to change. I still need you in my life. Please forgive me."
Jaehyun poured out his heart, the most that he could.

While he wanted to confess everything, he knew it could hurt even more. But by the smile creeping back onto your face, he knew he said the right thing to keep you in his life, whether as his girlfriend or just his friend. Yet, he was still happy. He loved you so much that he was just happy to have you around, even as just a friend.

"Jaehyun..I accept your apology. Just know that I would never leave you. I'll always be by your side and you'll always be the first one I talk to everyday. The first one I'll go to when I need a shoulder to cry on. The first one I'll call when I want to go out on a Saturday night. I would never trade you in for any other guy in the world." You spoke sincerely, your words touching him. You both smiled, wiping away the remaining tear stains that never fully dried up.

"Now, get over here and let's watch a movie, relax, do some major snacking and forget all about this little fight. Deal?"
"I'll be over in 10 minutes."
And that's the end of a great relationship with your new boyfriend.