Chapter 1

Precious

ˈprɛʃəs/

adjective

1. of great value; not to be wasted or treated carelessly.

2. greatly loved or treasured by someone

That's what they call me; precious. Plain and simple.

My dad has always been overprotective of me - even before I could remember. So when I decided to walk home from school that day in March 2015, I knew the repercussions would be big. I just didn't know how big.

The first time I saw him, I was walking quickly past his public school, one of the best in our area they tell us. Kids don't wear uniforms there.

My eyes narrowed at the boy standing in the distance in his letterman jacket. An athlete? My super-vision watched him at football practice, running, throwing, catching. My mind was blown.

"He's so cute" my fifteen year old, freshman self told my friends.

"How cute? Like captain America cute?" Shelby raised one of her on fleek brows.

"Cuter, if you can imagine" I smiled.

"I think this crush is getting stalkerish" Calum told me as the three of us walked side by side through the the hallway.

"Nah I ship it" Shelby smirked. "You can keep on lying to your brother and continue walking past that trash school to check out this cute guy, you have my full support"

So that's what I did every single day. I walked past Riverside high without my dad knowing for months - my brother Ned was supposed to drive me home but I convinced him that I needed freedom - which wasn't exactly true.

Summer break was hard. I didn't see him for months. I still had no idea what his name was, so I called him Mark Antony - whose known in history for being a Roman politician and general, and also for being married to Cleopatra.

It was during my summer break that lead me to where I am right now.

"Ned!" the screams come from down stairs. "What did you do! What the fuck did you do!"

Oh my God.

Dad and Ned have always had a complicated relationship. Some could call it a domestic abuse. Dad never laid a finger on me or my older brother Luke - it was always Ned.

I run down the stair case in our home as fast as I can, to find my dad with his hands around Neds throat, as they both stand in the middle of the kitchen.

"Get away from him" I order as glaring at my father causing him to take a few steps back.

"Tell her Ned" he orders as glaring straight at my brother "Tell your sister about your latest screw up!"

Ned rubs his neck as breathing heavily. I take a few steps towards him.

"I've been kicked out of school" he looks down with a bruised face.

God why is his face all bruised up? Dad usually doesn't do anything that leaves visible marks - well on the face that is.

"What?" I gasp.

"You're done! You hear me!" Dad screams from across the room "You're going to the nearest public school there is!"

Riverside high - Mark Antony's school.

"Great no more suit and tie" Ned snaps back.

"if Ned leaves I do to" I declare as looking at my dad.