Chapter 26

When school ends, Ned and I jump into his car without saying goodbye to anyone. Including Chris. It has been weeks since my birthday. I should be over what happened that night. After all, it is no big deal. So why is it to me?

Ned and I end up arriving at the tutoring centre early due to his shameless speeding down the streets. He did it to settle his nerves.

Today is his first day of community service. I'm worried about him, after all, he is going to be around criminals. But I guess that he is now one too...

I shake off the thought before waving my brother goodbye when getting out his car.

I smile in his direction nervously and wish him "good luck"

He nods. "Thanks"

I slam the door shut and watch as he drives away. I sigh in fear.

I turn around and immediately spot Lara standing by the doors in the distance. "Hey, Elise" she calls out to me.

Suddenly my stomach knots up when I take a few steps in her direction.

Oh no.

I run to the tree that stands only a few feet away from Lara. I bend down where a pale coloured liquid forces its way through my lips.

After a minute or so, I fix my posture where I find Lara standing beside me with folded arms.

"What?" I blink as taking a step towards her. "I'm just a little sick that's all..."

Lara nods. "For how long?"

I shrug "all week...I'm going to the doctor tomorrow"

"Have you just been throwing up?" She asks.

I shake my head. "No...I've had some cramping too..."

"Mhmm...you do realize that those are symptoms of pregnancy?" Lara raises a brow.

I freeze.

I would be lying if I said that the thought hadn't crossed my mind.

But I can't be.

I took the morning after pill and I'm only sixteen.

I'm in the clear.

"...I'm not pregnant" I assure her.

"Mhmm have you had any unprotected sex?" She folds her arms.

No matter how ashamed I am to admit it, I nod and say "yeah...but I took plan B..."

Lara laughs. "Yeah, so did I...and you've seen my kid"

My heart rate increases in fear. I'm not pregnant. I can't be.

I look down "I'm not" I reinforce.

"Okay, what if we go to the gas station around the corner and pick up a test?" Lara suggests.

"No" I shake my head.

"What you scared or somethin'? If you're so sure then what's the problem?"

The problem is, what if I really am?

I sigh. "Fine" I hesitantly agree resulting in Lara and I walking away from the centre.

In the corner of my, I see Jason, observing us by the front doors of the building. I choose to ignore him as we begin to walk to the drug store.

When we arrive I beg Lara to go in for me and she immediately agrees. It seems that she is way too excited for all this.

We enter the gas station at the same time but immediately separate. Lara goes to pick up the pregnancy test whilst I quickly walk to the restroom.

When Lara meets me in the restroom she passes me the test and I quickly pee on the stick in the stall.

When I come out I place the test on the counter and we wait.

"....look, Carter, if it makes you feel any better...if you are...I can help you out" Lara ensures, "I don't really like people all that much but you're alright"

"Thanks" I nod as checking my wristwatch. The three minutes are over. "Please tell me what it says...I can't look" I beg before drawing a deep breath.

Lara nods as picking the test up from the countertop. There is a moment of silence as Lara takes a step towards me.

"Y-you're pregnant, girl" she reveals.

The blood drains from my face "you're lying!" I snap when looking up at her.

"No, take a look" Lara shakes her head as I rip the test from her grasp.

My eyes widen in disbelief as there is so clearly two lines present on the test.

"No" I shake my head in denial, "it's a false positive, it has to be"

"I don't think so-" she starts.

"It has to be" I repeat as pulling out my wallet. I have no more money on me. I groan in frustration. "Do you have any money?"

Lara shakes her head. "No"

I take a deep breath as my eyes wheel up with tears. "It's...fine, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow"

"Look" Lara lowers her voice while looking me straight in the eye, "when I was in your shoes I was mad too...but you got a family that'll help you out...I didn't...my point is, if I can make it work, you can too..."

I nod slowly before we exit the bathroom.

***

After tutoring, I wait by the building alone with my cellphone shaking in my hands.

"Shelby, I'm freaking out over here" I admit to my best friend.

"Elise, It's probably a false positive" Shelby assures me.

"Do you actually believe that?" I raise a brow.

There's a moment of silence. "...Look, I'll meet you at your house tomorrow after school...get some lavender, it'll help you sleep"

I nod slowly as a salty tear slides down my left cheek. "Okay...I'll see you tomorrow"

"See ya tomorrow" she starts, "and Lissie...if you are, I will be with you every step of the god damn way"

"Thanks, Shelb" I say just as I hear a horn honking in the distance. I look up to find Ned's car, "Ned's here, bye"

"Bye," she ends the call.

I quickly enter the car and look over to Ned. "Well?"

He sits in the driver's seat with his dirty blond hair messed up and his green eyes barely open.

Ned furrows his brows. "Have you been crying?"

Yes.

"No" I immediately deny, "now tell me, what happened with you?"

His first day of community service - I'll be surprised if it wasn't rough.

He sighs while dropping his gaze to his knees. "We just cleaned up a park...I met some guys and a girl around my age...it wasn't so bad"

"Really?" I soften my gaze.

Ned half smiles "yeah, really" he assures, "c'mon, let's go home"

And for a split second, I forget that I may be pregnant. The bulky test in the pocket of my jeans was the trigger to the total recall of today's events.

At that moment, I draw a deep breath while looking firmly out the window.

------------------------------------

A/N

Hi all,

Sorry, this chapter is pretty fast-paced - I didn't really want to drag it on too much.

What are your thoughts?

Please VOTE

Thank you

Happy reading!

- Rose xx