Chapter 34

When Shelby came over that night, she spent the entirety of her time trying to cheering me up then eventually concluded that my dad will get over it in his own time. I'm still not so sure about that.

When monday cames around neither Ned or Chris were insight. I spent my morning searching the hallways, before spotting Sam standing by his locker, to my surprise.

My eyes widen in disbelief while I run up to him. He turns around to face me just as leap into his arms.

"Oh my God, are you okay?" I cry.

"Yeah I'm fine..." he announces while slowly pulling away, looking at me as though he were surprised to see that anyone cared. "...prison...a walk through the park you know..."

Sam Wood. A mystery to me, and I guess us all. Like Julius Caesar, Sam has always been a 'leader', constantly being looked up to my his friends. I bet his ex girlfriend admired the hell out of him. Hell, even my brother does.

He knows that I care about him —
Which is something that he is not at all used to. So as a result, he feels as though he is forced to conceal his emotions from me by saying things like 'prison was a walk through the park'. I think that Sam struggles with vulnerability, something that I've observed over the last few months.

But of course, Sam is not one of my rulers in one of my old historical books. I can try all I want to analyze him but he will always be somewhat of a mystery.

I furrow my brows. "I know what you're doing...and you don't have to...at least not around me..."

Sam looks down in sadness. "...So, I hear you're knocked up..." he drags his fingertips across his cheeks, taking his tears along with it.

I sigh at his subject change, but I choose to go along with it. "Yeah...I am"

"I didn't think Chris had it in him" Sam laughs as we enter the cafeteria "...if it's anything like you, it'll be a good kid"

"Thanks," I smirk when I spot Ned and Jenny around our usual table. "Hey, where's Chris?" I ask my brother.

"I slipt him a shit ton of laxititives at practice this morning" Ned announces, "pun intended"

I face palm instantly while Sam takes a seat beside Jenny, who sits with her arm in a sling "oh my god" I gasp.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine" Ned rolls his eyes, "I just had to make sure that I got him good after what he did to you"

"Jen your arm" I widen my eyes.

"Yeah...it's nothing really..." She averts her gaze away from me, "...so uh, you're pregnant..."

I furrow my brows at my friend. I want to scream the words 'look at me'. But I know that she can't because she's in love with Chris. Maybe a part of her still had hope that she and Chris would end up together, now she feels that that dream is out of reach.

I open my mouth to speak but then Ned says "what position makes the ugliest kids?"

"I don't know, why don't you ask your mother?" Sam snaps back with a smirk.

I look over my shoulder in their direction and smile.

"Hey Ned" a small girl approaches our table with her long black hair and fair complexion.

"Hey, Macy" Ned grins at her, "we still on for our date tonight?"

"You bet" Macy smiles before leaving our sight.

We all raise a brow in Ned's direction. There's one thing that everyone around here knows about Ned — He doesn't date. So to hear the word 'date' leave his lips surprises us all.

"What?" Ned blinks, "it's purely just a hump and dump situation" he assures.

Jenny rolls her eyes and then asks to "change the subject..."

"Hey, where's Blake? I still have some laxititives left over" Ned folds his arms.

I sigh when looking over my shoulder to find Blake walking towards us from a distance.

I can't help but feel a mix of emotions when I look at him. Anger and sadness seem to be the top two when I remember the car accident.

Immediately, I walk quickly towards him, taking his arm and dragging him to the nearest quiet hallway.

"I'm sorry—" Blake apologizes immediately.

"You could have killed us Blake!" I cry furiously, looking him firmly in the eyes.

"I know" he looks down, "it was an accident..."

"Was it really?" I lower my voice.

"What?" Blake folds his arms.

"I was there Blake...I saw you make that turn" I clench my jaw, "and earlier you were saying all that stuff about being depressed—"

"I would never hurt you or Jenny intentionally!" He cried.

"But you would hurt yourself" I snap back fast.

There's a moment of silence as he thinks about ny words carefully.

I believe that Blake was desperate for an escape that night, so desperate that he would risk me and Jenny's life I order to silence his own over-active mind.

Blake then sighs, "things just get so twisted..."

"You could have killed us" I grit my teeth at him.

"...but I didn't" he finally meets my gaze.

I sigh in disbelief. I look at Blake. I really look at him. All I see is a lost little boy.

He could have killed us all and doesn't even care.

With that, I turn around and walk quickly in the opposite direction. 

"Elise!" I hear him call, but I continue walking in fury.

He could have killed us.

-------------------------

Hi all,

So this chapter was a mix of humour and seriousness. What do you think of it?

I wrote this chapter back in late January, so I'm excited to finally be able to share it with you guys :)

Please VOTE

Thank you

Happy reading!!

- Rose xx