Chapter 11

The rest of the week consisted of me trying not to upset anybody. By the time Friday rolls around I'm excited about my date with Chris.

This makes being around him difficult because all I want to do is talk about the mysterious night that he has planned.

Ned, Chris, Sam, and I walk down the hallway slowly, first thing after homeroom. Ned walks as though he has forgotten how to move his legs, and his pale complexion appears to be paper white today.

"You look like shit" Sam observes.

"I feel like shit" Ned admits as running his finger through his messy dirty blond hair.

"How come?" Chris asks him.

"I couldn't sleep" Ned shrugged "I haven't had such a bad night since the time I had chlamydia"

Sam and Chris's exchange concerned glances. Ned needs to be careful who he says things too, one-day people are actually going to believe him.

I shake my head slowly as a response to his statement "he's kidding" I assure the others as we enter calculus class.

I take a seat towards the front of the class as Mrs Rogers places her hands on her hips. "Take out last night homework please, I'm checking over it"

A sophomore in a junior calculus class. It doesn't feel as weird as I originally anticipated. Some people assume that I'm Ned's twin sister, and don't question why I'm in their class. I choose not to correct them.

"Ppss" someone kicks the legs of my chair. "Ppss"

"What" I look over my shoulder to find Ned with his pencil behind his ear, and his body slumped in his chair.

Having calculus with my brother is not as fun as it is for everybody else. All he does is a copy off of me.

"Did you do exercise three a?" Ned half smiles.

"You mean last night's homework?" I cock a brow.

He responds with a nod "I was nailing Debra soooo"

I wasn't surprised by his statement. Whether or not the statement is true, is another story entirely. Sometimes Ned says things that sound good and can be mistaken quite easily for the truth.

I roll my eyes as passing him my exercise book. "Of course you were"

"You're a gem" he grins as opening his own exercise book.

I can't help but smile. Oh brother, what am I going to do with you?

****

"So uh tonight's the night," Jenny says casually as I slide my cheerleading practice uniform onto my body, as we stand in the changing rooms at lunch.

"Oh with Chris" I nod "I'm so hyped"

She looks down "yeah I bet you are"

I furrow my brows "are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm great" she smiles.

I know that she likes Chris, but if she keeps denying it, there's nothing that I can do.

"Look, Jenny, if you just tell me that you like him then I won't go out with him," I tell her. "I couldn't do that to you"

Jenny sighs "don't do that...I don't have feelings for him okay...I think I'm just overprotective that's all"

I nod slowly "Well okay then"

That was pretty convincing, but I guess that I just have to go along with what she's saying.

Suddenly we hear another girl from outside the changing room "we're starting!" She cries.

"C'mon they're calling us" Jenny half smiles.

I nod slowly as we walk through the changing rooms and to the centre of the gymnasium. The gymnasium is smaller than my last school, but I prefer it smaller, it's a lot less intimidating.

The head cheerleader then introduces herself to the group and begins using terms that resemble a foreign language.

"....what are we doing?" I whisper to Jenny in absolute confusion.

"Picking positions" Jenny admits as I glance at the head of the cheerleading squad who stands in her ultra small shorts, that resemble everybody else's.

"Elise" the head cheerleader points at me. My body tenses up in fear "You're on top"

"Excuse me?" I blink in confusion.

"Of the pyramid" she specifies as folding her arms.

"Being on top is a huge honour" Jenny informs. I begin chuckling at her words. Jenny rolls her eyes at me "You're so immature"

Too much time with my brother. I only have him to blame for my dirty mind.

I laugh "I'm sorry"

Oh, my God, that's funny.

"Everybody in your positions" the head cheerleader claps.

Immediately my smile drops. Everybody here has done cheerleading before, I on the other head am a first timer. I don't know how to do this.

"Uh sherry" I raise my hand in fear "I've never done this before"

"Don't worry it's easy" the head cheerleader assures "You just climb up the other girls like a ladder"

I gulp "yeah that sounds simple enough" I mutter sarcastically to myself.

The other girls begin forming their pyramid, as I slowly climb up them.

"Can you be any slower" one of the girls on the bottom snaps.

"Why wouldn't you choose a more experienced cheerleader?" Kelsey cocks a brow as standing beside Sherry.

"Because I want to see what the new girl's got" she folds her arms.

Climbing up other girls like they're a ladder is not easy. It feels like they could fall forward or backwards at any moment.

I look down at Sherry who gives me an encouraging smile. All I know about Sherry is that she's a senior and comes from a wealthy Filipino family. Oh and she dislikes Kelsey like most people do. I don't know anything else about her.

I draw a deep breath as I struggle to stand. The girl beneath me wraps her hands around my shoes that are relying on her shoulders for support.
My eyes widen as I stand at the top of the pyramid.

"I did it" A smile washes across my face.

"Would you look at that" Sherry smiles at Kelsey smugly "looks like we have a new girl for our pyramid"