Chapter 18

Instead of going back to class, Chris drops me off at the hospital to see my father. Ned is completely deteriorating in that cell, I cannot let him be in there for any longer. I don't care if I have to beg, I need to get him out of there.

I walk through my father's room slowly. Immediately, I spot my father laying helplessly in his hospital bed. I hate that he's in so much pain, but I would be lying if I said that he's worse off then Ned.

After all, my father is a strong man, I can't say the same for my brother. A week in prison has affected Ned in ways I couldn't even imagine. If I leave him there till his hearing, I may not recognize him.

My head snaps to the window where I find my brother Luke standing perfectly still in his leather jacket and dark denim jeans. "Are you okay?" He asks me as I wrap my arms around him.

I nod slowly before turning to my father. I drop to my knees as taking his hand.

"Dad" I start slowly as my father looks up at me with wide eyes, "it's time, please"

My father drops his gaze and sighs as I look over my shoulder to find Luke nodding, agreeing with me.

***

I sit in the passenger seat of my brother's car, sitting beside my older brother Luke.

"Ned is going to kill you for driving his car" I inform, as we're parked in front of the police station.

"I don't care" Luke admits as running his fingers through his dark hair, "...I'm thinkin' of moving back here, you know" he announces.

My brother Luke has been living in New York since he started college. He got married really young, and so he and his wife have really built a life for themselves over there.

I snap my head in his direction "what?"

"I can transfer from Columbia University to Stanford" Luke admits, "that way, I can stay close if something happens"

Stay close just in case something happens. That's what our lives have become it seems. Something is always happening around here, thus, Luke is constantly flying from New York to California. I don't blame him for being sick of constantly flying back and forth, I just think that it's unnecessary to move back here because of it.

I sigh "what about your wife?"

"Georgia and I will work it" he assures.

I revert my gaze to the police station where I see my brother Ned walking in our direction. "There he is" I announce as jumping out of Ned's car.

Quickly, I run across the parking lot with my long blond hair getting caught in the wind. I leap into his arms, as a smile spreads across my face.

I stroke Ned's hair as he begins to sob in my arms. "Dad bailed me out" Ned informs me.

I nod as holding back my tears "I know, I just wish that he did it sooner"

"I asked around, they told me that the uh chargers are still standing" Ned sniffs.

I look down as pulling away from my brother in guilt. I managed to get my dad to bail Ned out of jail with Luke's help, but I couldn't convince him to drop the charges altogether.

"I'm sorry" I sigh, "I tried"

"I know you did" Ned nods as we slowly begin walking towards his car. "Who the fuck drove you here, in my car?"

My eyes widen as I tug on Ned's arm "don't get mad"

He never lets anyone drive his car. Let alone our brother Luke - the man, he hates almost as much as he hates Dad.

"You've got to be kidding me" Ned cries as Luke slowly gets out of the car. "You fucking dildo!"

Luke folds his arms "will you just get in the car" he begs.

"What the fuck are you doing here Luke?" Ned asks with his eyes narrowed at our brother Luke. "In my town, driving my car?"

"Nice seeing you too little brother" Luke rolls his eyes.

I love Ned, but whenever he's around Luke or our father, he becomes a completely different person. In all honesty, the person he becomes terrifies me.

"He helped us bail you out, Ned" I sigh as placing my hand flatly onto his shoulder, "please just get in the car"

Ned looks over to me before nodding slowly. "Okay, but I'm driving" he reverts his gaze back to Luke.

Luke puts both his hands up in compliance before chucking Ned his car keys.

-------------------------------------

Hi all,

So The Precious One is finally back after months on hold. I am going to try to update every week until this book is completed, but please forgive me if I skip some weeks (as I'm starting my senior year in February 2019, which is very demanding).

Also, this chapter demonstrates how much control Elise really does/did have over Ned. Which is apparent through The Silent One and The Broken One where you see how deeply her death affected him.

The next few chapters will be pathing the way for the main plot (Elise getting pregnant) which is spoken about in detail in both The Silent One and The Broken One. So get hyped!!

Please VOTE if you're enjoying this book :)

Thank you

Happy reading!

- Rose xx